Broken Neck?

Spruceroost

Chirping
Apr 26, 2017
I found my chicken looking like this today. Is there any way to help, maybe a vet?

Attachments

• 20181205_172623.jpg
    20181205_172623.jpg
    332.8 KB · Views: 109
OK so vitamin E. He won't be able to eat or drink right? How and what vitamin E supplement do I use?

Were the pecking and black marks on the comb there before you discovered the wry neck (torticolis, crook neck?) Wry neck is a neurological symptom of several different conditions. Vitamin E and thiamine (vitamin B 1) deficiency, head or neck injuries, and certain diseases, such as Mareks, fowl cholera, and others, can cause wry neck. It looks like your chicken was severely pecked about the comb either because of her symptoms, or it might have even been part of the cause.

I would use a poultry vitamin that already has thiamine in it, or a half of a B complex tablet crushed and added to a small amount of food. Also open a 400 IU vitamin E capsule onto food or give the capsule whole in the back of the throat. Separate the bird if necessary in a crate with food and water, if it is being picked on. Also, make sure that she is eating and drinking enough, and you may have to help her eat and drink unless her neck relaxes to eat. Mixing up a small bowl of chicken feed, water, and some cooked egg for selenium, and hold her wrapped in a towel to help her if necessary.

Last edited:
Good observation on the curled under toes @rebrascora. That along with wry neck might be a sign of Mareks disease, but I hope not. Other chickens can sense if another is acting sick, and they sometimes will attack or pick on them. I would separarte him in a dog cage with food and water. Here is a good article to read on Mareks Disease:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/
Those were exactly my thoughts! Conversely, if he has had a pasting from another cockerel, that might be enough stress to trigger a Marek's outbreak.

Hey everyone, sorry about the late post. Age is 7 months.

He has his own enclosure by himself but within eye distance of the hens. The scabs came when I had a bunny with me and it got out of my hand when I was feeding the rooster, they went at it pretty quick and I had to separate them.

Yes, his toes are curling up badly, he has trouble walking but I had them vaccinated for Mereks from the hatchery. Can they still get it?

I've put him on Vitamin E and seretine sp? 3 times a day for the last couple of days. He is eating and drinking with help.

Back
Top Bottom