Broken turkey tail feathers

Mine pass through a similar door and their tail feathers are not getting broken. Their tail feathers do get worn and broken during spats. Yours are at the age that they should be have pecking order disagreements.

I don't recommend husing poultry wire around turkeys. I have seen tom turkeys nearly cut their snoods off on poultry wire.
Yeah, we've had to cut a lot of the wire away because they were getting scratches on their faces and necks. It's just a little tricky because we have a lot of predators that'll chew holes in wood. So chicken wire has its perks, but then the negatives as well. What we have them in is a coop wrapped in chicken wire, and then the coop is surrounded by a chain link dog kennel. They spend most of their time in the yard with me though, away from it. But still, that 5 min time it takes when they all come out in the morning causes them so much troubles!

Yeah, we've had to cut a lot of the wire away because they were getting scratches on their faces and necks. It's just a little tricky because we have a lot of predators that'll chew holes in wood. So chicken wire has its perks, but then the negatives as well. What we have them in is a coop wrapped in chicken wire, and then the coop is surrounded by a chain link dog kennel. They spend most of their time in the yard with me though, away from it. But still, that 5 min time it takes when they all come out in the morning causes them so much troubles!
Hardware cloth is much sturdier than poultry wire and is much easier on turkeys. Chicken wire itself is not predator proof.

oh yes, that is what we have hardware cloth! not the hexagon chicken wire. So far, the square hole hardware cloth has done pretty good against the predator attack attempts.
Thanks for the tip too!
Also too, another thing is they kinda push each other out of the door because they all want to get out at once through the same door (even with 2 doors on the coop lol). Which causes them to be pushed into the doors resulting in the broken feathers as well. That is probably the main reason too.

Back
Top Bottom