Broken turkey tail feathers

BCOOP813

In the Brooder
Jul 26, 2021
Hi, I have two 6 month old Toms and both of their tail fans have some broken tips in the middle. can they regrow full fans? is there anything i can do to help them? I'm new to turkeys and would like them to have full beautiful fans if they can but i haven't been able to find anything online to help me out. any knowledge is appreciated!

thank you blessings.

Hi, I have two 6 month old Toms and both of their tail fans have some broken tips in the middle. can they regrow full fans? is there anything i can do to help them? I'm new to turkeys and would like them to have full beautiful fans if they can but i haven't been able to find anything online to help me out. any knowledge is appreciated!

thank you blessings.
As long as you keep multiple toms together, they will always have broken tail feathers. The broken feathers will only be replaced when the bird molts or if the feathers get pulled out.

Yeah, we've had to cut a lot of the wire away because they were getting scratches on their faces and necks. It's just a little tricky because we have a lot of predators that'll chew holes in wood. So chicken wire has its perks, but then the negatives as well. What we have them in is a coop wrapped in chicken wire, and then the coop is surrounded by a chain link dog kennel. They spend most of their time in the yard with me though, away from it. But still, that 5 min time it takes when they all come out in the morning causes them so much troubles!
Hardware cloth is much sturdier than poultry wire and is much easier on turkeys. Chicken wire itself is not predator proof.

thank you blessings.
If they loose feathers they will grow back. If the tips are just messed up a little they may not grow those back until next molt.

Back
Top Bottom