Bronze Turkeys... Broadbreasted or standard?!?

Wolf-Kim

Songster
11 Years
12 Years
Jan 25, 2008
Okay, so I picked up a free pair of one year old Bronze turkeys today. I have very little experience with turkeys, having only first raised poults last year, but how could I pass up a free pair? LOL The family had purchased poults to raise for holidays, didn't know the breed, color, or variety, but now it's after the holidays and her husbands deploying, so they realized they made the mistake of naming the birds.
wink.png
Couldn't have the heart to do them in, so she was finding them a new home.

Okay, so we showed up and the tom is HUGE. We weighed him and his gal when we got home and he weighed in at about 45+ lbs and she weighed in about 25lbs. So does this mean that these guys are the broadbreasted variety?

I am guessing they are broadbreasted because the tom is just plain BIG, but it's the kind of big where it seems like the parts don't just match up. His chest is bare, I'm guessing from laying on the ground(??) and his wings almost seem uneven or unable to fold up. Maybe I'm just not used to seeing a tom in person. *shrug*

I'll attempt to get pictures later, but maybe someone can tell from the description which type of Bronze I have.

Also, at almost 50lbs, are these birds just plain overfed?

Thanks
-Kim

Last edited:
I saw that ad but was not willing to drive the hour and half to pick them up without knowing whether they were standards or BBB. Looks like I made the right choice.

They are really friendly and I'm glad we picked them up. The lady and her family were super friendly too. Thay had a goat named Brownie, who thought she was dog.
lol.png

-Kim

A picture of them would really help out. If they are that young and that big they are more then likely a BBB, They can get up to 50-70lbs in a years time if feed and housed right. If his chest is bare then more then likely he has been laying in the dirt to sleep, or just rubbing a fence.

I think he was just rubbing his chest on the concrete pad they were kept on. I will get pictures tomorrow, right now they are settling down in a horse stall. The family keeps joking that the tom was the the inspiration for the Alien movies.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom