Brood hen and store bought chicks?

MidNight Wings

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 13, 2013
California
I DON'T KNOW IF THIS IS THE RIGHT PLACE FOR THIS, PLEASE FORGIVE ME IF IT ISN'T.

Day before yesterday I got one dozen day old chicks from Dick Horsman. They all arrived unharmed and adorable.
They are set up in a indoor brooder with food, water, and a heat lamp.

They day before they came, my GLW went very broody so I tried the switching trick. I waited until about nine at night and replaced her eggs with three chicks.
at first it seemed all would go well, she put the chicks under her and stayed with them through the night. But when morning came she got up and left them.

I think it didn't work because I did the chick-egg switch to soon into her being broody.

But now, three days later the GLW is still broody! So much so that I can't get her out of the box for anything.

Is there any chance I could try again with the chicks tonight? She didn't harm them the first time, just abandoned them. But I don't know what she will do the second go around.

I am OK with raising the chicks indoors, but I like the idea of a hen pitching in a wing. (Plus it would be really cute.)

I also have Cochins that seem to really like the chicks.

Please let me know what to do.

Last edited:
In my experience the longer a hen has been setting, the greater possibility that she will accept foster chicks. You can give it a try, but my gut tells me that 3 days of broodiness is not enough to prepare her for motherhood. Also I find that experienced mothers are easier to foster chicks to than are rooky mothers. Good luck.

I'm not an expert, but it sounds like if she didn't hurt them then it's probably not going to hurt to try again now that she's extra broody.

Best of luck! Post some pictures of the chicks once she adopts them!

In my experience the longer a hen has been setting, the greater possibility that she will accept foster chicks. You can give it a try, but my gut tells me that 3 days of broodiness is not enough to prepare her for motherhood. Also I find that experienced mothers are easier to foster chicks to than are rooky mothers. Good luck.
I wish I had an experienced mother, but the only one I have just started molting.
hmm.png

Also, the GLW just started pulling out all of her fluffy feathers and putting them in the box... I thought that took place later in the broody stage.

Back
Top Bottom