Brooder bedding

KikiDeAnime

Spooky
6 Years
Dec 29, 2017
Battle Ground, WA
Ducklings current age: 3 weeks.
Next week I move the ducklings' brooder, which is just a big pet carrier, out into the chickens' coop. Only reason they're being moved there and not their own coop, is the pet carrier doesn't fit correctly in the duck coop. Plus the chicken coop keeps better warmth. They will be sleeping in the chicken coop for a few months and I plan on removing the brooder once they can keep themselves warm.
The ducklings will be moved into the duck coop once they're old enough to be around our drake.

I just need bedding suggestions for the brooder because up until now, I've been using one of my blankets wrapped over the heating pad. And no, I can't just keep using the heating pad, the cord is a fire hazard so I refuse to risk my birds' lives.

What bedding do you suggest??

Anything that doesn't answer my question won't be responded to.

I use pine shavings as a base, and wheat straw on top. The shavings help with the water,a little with the smell, and the wheat straw is cheaper and easier to spot clean. I also put the wheat straw poop in the garden. Shavings just dont break down well

Also, I highly recommend the Heafty, or any other brand, puppy pads under the waterer. Soaks up to 4 cups of the mess those monster throw about.

I dont know your temps, but we are in the mountains. If you’re in colder regions I think getting them used to colder temps outside for short periods of time helps. It also make their feathers come in faster based on research.

Last edited:
I use pine shavings as a base, and wheat straw on top. The shavings help with the water,a little with the smell, and the wheat straw is cheaper and easier to spot clean. I also put the wheat straw poop in the garden. Shavings just dont break down well

Also, I highly recommend the Heafty, or any other brand, puppy pads under the waterer. Socks up to 4 cups of the mess those monster throw about.

Also, I dont know your temps, but we are in the mountains. If you’re in colder regions I think getting them used to colder temps outside for short periods of time helps. It also make their feathers come in faster based on research.
I figured shavings would be best but wasn't sure.
I haven't been giving them water at night. And all 3 been going outside during the day since they were 2-3 days old.
The night temps next week and the week are going to be in the low 50s-high 40s. The coop keeps it warmer than that though. After that, it will be getting warmer at night.

I figured shavings would be best but wasn't sure.
I haven't been giving them water at night. And all 3 been going outside during the day since they were 2-3 days old.
The night temps next week and the week are going to be in the low 50s-high 40s. The coop keeps it warmer than that though. After that, it will be getting warmer at night.
I haven’t pulled water yet. But I did pull food at night, which stopped them from drinking or farting around as much.
On the cooler nights mine love to nest in the straw. That’s one of the reasons I blend.

Back
Top Bottom