Brooder big enough?

clucknquack

Songster
6 Years
Nov 25, 2016
East Stroudsburg, PA
I will be getting 6 muscovy ducklings soon. I am going to use an old dog crate as a brooder. I don't know the exact size of it yet (it's in my attic). However, it easily fits a 150 lb Lab/Akita mix with room to spare lol. If I had to guess I would say it's 3 feet wide, by 5 feet long, and 3 feet high. Will this last them until they are feathered enough for outside, or should I find a second one?

Thanks

I used an extra large dog crate for a brooder many times mine are the plastic ones and I take the top off and use old window screens as covers. tie wrap the door in place so they can't jump out.  Works great but 6 ducklings will grow fast and will make their brooder nasty in no time so be ready to do clean up daily. since we don't use the dining room table much I put the crate on top [since I have 4 dogs] and hang my heat lamp over it that way I can raise of lower according to temps. I rec a digital thermometer for in the brooder so you can keep tabs on temp.I love Muscovy's they are awesome ducks. 

@clucknquack
  Welcome to BYC    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

I actually read that thread twice lol. I know muscovys get big fast. I just wasn't sure if the crate would be big enough for 6 to be fully featured in, before moving them outside into the cold.

It's an all steel grate one, with the slide out tray on the bottom. I'm going to surround the sides in cardboard.The heat lamp will clip right to the top, or the side, if I take the top off.

Thanks. I can't wait to get them. Don't want to get them too soon, but I want eggs by fall, so I don't want to wait too long lol.

I got my first two ducks in April and sadly one passed away due to neurological issues (crested duck, I don't recommend them) so I only have one duck for now but I'm getting a bunch more in the spring (Indian runner, blue Swedish, Cayuga, saxony, Magpie, khaki Campbell) I don't want to wait until spring, but I'm not in a place to add ducks at the moment, I can't wait to get mine either
1f600.png
is this your first time owning ducks?

Yeah, first ducks! Had chickens for years though.
I used an extra large dog crate for a brooder many times mine are the plastic ones and I take the top off and use old window screens as covers. tie wrap the door in place so they can't jump out. Works great but 6 ducklings will grow fast and will make their brooder nasty in no time so be ready to do clean up daily. since we don't use the dining room table much I put the crate on top [since I have 4 dogs] and hang my heat lamp over it that way I can raise of lower according to temps. I rec a digital thermometer for in the brooder so you can keep tabs on temp.I love Muscovy's they are awesome ducks.

@clucknquack Welcome to BYC https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

Last edited:
Yeah, first ducks! Had chickens for years though.

-

You'll love them! They are very very stinky and messy though, when I had two ducklings I was having to clean their brooder at least once a day sometimes twice a day, but it's all worth it, they're so intelligent and adorable.

To prevent niacin deficiency I suggest putting brewers yeast on their food until 8 weeks old, I will put the picture of the kind I used for my ducks :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom