Brooder Heat Troubleshooting

What method do you heat your brooder with?

• Red Bulb

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Incandescent Bulb

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Heat Plate

Votes: 12 60.0%
  • Something Else (let me know!)

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters
Had I known I could get a thermostat, I probably would have done it along the lines of how you do.
It's actually a dimmer switch. I still have to monitor the thermometer and chicks and adjust the brightness by sliding the switch myself.
One thing I noticed is a bulb lasts a long time when it's not at full brightness all the time.
I have raised two batches of Chicks with one bulb and it was still working when I no longer needed with the second batch.
I have three new bulbs as spares. I will never need to buy another bulb at the rate I buy chicks. GC

Last edited:
I'm kind of a newbie compared to a lot of people around here but I have hatched and/or raised just over 80 chicks. In my experience, when keeping things hot as recommended, I end up with stressed chicks and rampant pasty butt. Ever since the first batch that seemed to hate that much heat, I started keeping them in a 70-degree room with a heat plate and nothing else. I have never had another case of pasty butt or a chick that seemed stressed. If yours are coming out from under the heat plate when you don't have the lamp I'm running around normally, they're fine. I would only worry if they are huddled together, especially under the heat plate, and not coming out.

I think the heating plate is by far the superior method. I've used a Mama Heating Pad (which is similar) with excellent results in the past and have my newest chicks currently using one now. The benefit is the chicks choose on their own how much heat they actually need for any given moment. They experience darkness at night and cooler air when they wander about which helps them to acclimate and feather out quicker. I'm not sure if a laser thermometer is an accurate way to measure the plate temp. Did you feel it with your hands? The chicks shouldn't actually be touching the plate like they would with a MHP, so it should be raised just above the height of their backs.

I think your polish was probably at risk to start with and the heating plate had nothing to do with its death, just coincidence.

When using only a heating plate or pad, the chicks don't usually spend much time under there after about 3 weeks anyway. Using both is definitly too much heat and you're delaying their development. My chicks last year were fully feathered and off heat completely by 4-5 weeks and roosting with my older hens.

Apologies if I am being redundant, I have not thoroughly read all replies. Since you have two different heat sources, you also need to be sure that there is brooder space that is away from the heat, a cooler area. This will allow the chicks to move around to different temperature zones and regulate their body temperature. Once they have most of their adult feathers they will be able to to better regulate their temperature on their own (why they need less heat). If you are to continue to use multiple heat sources consider having them on opposite ends of the brooder perhaps with a dead zone (no heat) in the middle.

When using a heat lamp what can I do to create a dark place for them to simulate night or being under the hen?
My ceramic “reptile” bulb has worked for me. I bought a 100w bulb off amazon. They cry every night after the sun goes down, but they are finally sleeping instead of eating all night long. Coincidentally this has helped with their bursting-at-the-seams crops that were never emptying because they ate non-stop.

Back
Top Bottom