Brooder heating in garage question

cyn n

In the Brooder
Oct 4, 2017
I just took home my 2 week old chicks yesterday. I set up their brooder in a large storage bin with a heat lamp on a stand in my garage. California weather is mild right now.

I read they should be a good 85 degrees in there. Last night i adjusted the lamp to an exact 86 degrees (according to the thermometer). This morning it was a toasty 50 degrees out--checked the brooder and it was a nice 70ish with happy, eating chicks.

A few mins ago I went in there (its about 75 degrees out) and the thermometer read a whooping 100!!! I freaked out and moved the lamp. They still look chirpy and happy.

How do you keep the temp regulated? Ive raised my tortoise since a hatchling with heat requirements but he LOVED the heat.

I may move them into my big wire dog crate to see if it helps. Ill try to attach pics.

Thanks for any info!

Attachments

• IMG_3800.JPG
    IMG_3800.JPG
    345.1 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_3801.JPG
    IMG_3801.JPG
    270.5 KB · Views: 43
I used a mama hen heating pad (search on this site for instructions) for my chicks. Its great because they can chose If they want under, on top or away from the heat.

As long as they have the space to get away from the heat they should be fine. But it is a challenge to keep the temperature stable in the brooder when the room temperature fluctuates. A dog crate isn't ideal for a brooder as chicks are affected by any drafts so I'd leave them in the solid sided bin. A crate could also mean too much heat could be lost when the outside temperature falls.

If you have them in a plastic tote, that could be a lot of your problem. They hold the heat, and are simply too small to manage well, as you have found out. I will never use a heat lamp again, especially in combination with a plastic tote. I almost killed a batch of chicks with that combination in spite of consistent temps, and frequently checking the brooder temps. I call the tote/heat lamp an easy bake oven.

MHP all the way for me!!!

If you continue with your present set up, I urge you to get a large appliance box, and use that as your brooder.

Thanks--yes I started to feel like they were in an oven. I ended up moving them to the crate. Got some bullentin board borders from the dollar store and taped up the sides to help with breezes. I also attached the storage bin on one side to keep it from drafts. Its now 85 degrees in the garage so the lamp is off.

For now I may just turn it on when the temp drops in the evening. As you can see, they seem to love it!

Attachments

• IMG_3821.JPG
    IMG_3821.JPG
    591.7 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_3822.JPG
    IMG_3822.JPG
    525.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_3823.JPG
    IMG_3823.JPG
    428.2 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_3825.JPG
    IMG_3825.JPG
    491.8 KB · Views: 42
Are you using a 250 watt bulb? They are too hot. I prefer a 125 watt bulb. The heat from them is more reasonable.

Back
Top Bottom