Brooder help

whitles798

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 11, 2013
I had a hen set on 6 eggs. 4 of them hatched and the other two were obviously late late so I decided to leave them with her and see what happened. Over the weekend one hatched and she wasn't having it. Guess there was too much of an age difference? Or perhaps she knew something was wrong, idk. Anyways I put him in a tote with a heat bulb and heating pad. He didn't make it. The last egg in hatching now and I want to make sure I do everything I can to help him make it. Any advice is appreciated! I've never "raised" chicks before, just let the hen do her thing. How hot does it have to stay? Is a bulb and a heating pad too much? I had it in a small bathroom with the vents shut off/covered. Tote half coveted with a towel to help retain heat. Please, like I said, any help is appreciated!!! Fingers crossed this one will make it! :jumpy

Welcome! If the eggs were all started at the same time, I'd recommend enjoying the four babies who hatched and are doing well with mom. It's likely that there are serious problems with the remaining embryo if it's not hatching and mom abandoned it.
Where things really go wrong, is when the eggs are started in incubation days apart; the group isn't the same age, and later chicks don't have a chance because mama stops setting on them.
Eggs need specific temperatures and humidity levels to do well, and it's unlikely that your set-up actually matches what's needed. It would be nice to save a live embryo, but unlikely at this point.
Mary

Welcome! If the eggs were all started at the same time, I'd recommend enjoying the four babies who hatched and are doing well with mom. It's likely that there are serious problems with the remaining embryo if it's not hatching and mom abandoned it.
Where things really go wrong, is when the eggs are started in incubation days apart; the group isn't the same age, and later chicks don't have a chance because mama stops setting on them.
Eggs need specific temperatures and humidity levels to do well, and it's unlikely that your set-up actually matches what's needed. It would be nice to save a live embryo, but unlikely at this point.
Mary
Thanks for replying! The 4 are with mama. I intend on leaving them with her. I did end up with eggs due at different times. I guess the weather we have here at the moment was favorable for the remaining 2 eggs. She didn't sit on them much but the first time I went to take them out, one was hatching. So I left them. The one hatched and she was pretty rough with it. I removed the new chick and brought it inside in a thrown together brooder. Left the other egg in the coop. New chick didn't make it. This morning I went to remove the last egg and found it hatching. Went ahead and moved it out in case she gets the same idea this time.

Back
Top Bottom