1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Brooder idea

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mandelyn, Mar 5, 2012.

1. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    The last brooder I built was designed to have a wire bottom where all the water waste would fall into pans below. I recently took on a part time job at Lowes in the garden center, and since we're not busy yet I have a lot of time to cruise the store looking for ideas.

Found a shower base on clearance and it got me thinking.

These shower bases average 32x32 or bigger. Just the pan that goes on the floor of a stand-up shower. Has this handy hole in the middle. Drains towards the hole. Way easy to clean. Good height on the edge.

So I was thinking I would make a 10x10in wire covered "stand" for the waterer, to go over that hole. Attach a short length of pipe into the hole. Build around the tray the rest of it, using 2x2's and hardware cloth. Front door, top door.

Legs would be a little taller than a 5 gallon bucket. Insert 5 gallon bucket under drain hole. Ta-da!

Empty the bucket as needed. Hose off the whole thing. Easy to sanitize between uses. I think I can get it built for less than $150.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by