Brooder is Ready, just add chicks

I would opt for less heat. My 2 week olds spend alot of time in the 70°F area and they pop over to their heat source a few times for a warm up. They are feathering alot faster than my first chick did when I followed the "temp" guide.
You will probably have to just keep an eye on them to see what works for them.
The brooder looks amazing. Great job!
The brooder is 3.5’ long and the hot spot is on the end. The opposite end is 76 degrees. They’ll have plenty of room to regulate their temperature. If I see them avoiding the hot side, I can raise the lamp an inch or two.

Just got the call, the birds are ready to be picked up. The post office opens at 9:00 am. Turned on the heat and set out the food and water. This is as clean as the brooder is going to get for a few weeks.
6FB3B51F-E4B9-4057-AE66-986FE6FB9F9D.jpeg

Adjustable bulb is fine, I'm sure there are millions, if not billions, of chicks that have been raised under them with no real ill effects. MHP and brooder pads are great, and I'll probably get one for my next go around, but all the same...feeling guilty about a bulb is like feeling guilty about using disposable diapers instead of cloth.

And in a few days, move that thing to the Garage/Carport/Shed/even the coop if its a viable option...They make a lot of dust and stink in a hurry.

Back
Top Bottom