brooder placement?

Saerasx

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 6, 2014
Beaverton, OR
I'm bringing home my chicks tomorrow and am wondering where I should place the brooder. I have three possible locations, the kitchen, my craft room, or our upstairs guest bathroom. The upstairs tends to be two to three degrees warmer but the bathroom isn't too big...I may eventually turn the tub into a bigger brooder though. For now it's just a big storage tote from Costco.

How many and how long will they be in there? Chicks create MAJOR "chicken dust", as their down falls off and the feathers grow in. Not bad with three, or, four. Ten to twenty and it's a real mess. I have had twenty five in my tack room. Never again. They now get the brooder parked in the coop.

It'll just be four so I'm leaning towards my craft room till they outgrow it. I've been thinking the kitchen may be too crazy for them. I don't want them competing with my 14 month old lol:D

Put them where ever the dust will be least difficult to clean up. You may find that they are far more messy than you ever thought they could be. Many people, after brooding chicks, say... Never again in the house. I allow my chicks to be in the house for a couple of days, then kick them down to the garage. As long as you have a draft free predator proof place for them, and can keep the temp high enough with a brood lamp, it doesn't matter where they are. The bigger you can make your brooder, the better it will be for the chicks. They should have enough room in the brooder so they can get away from the light to a temp that is around 70 degrees or less. If you don't use the upstairs bathroom, you could set your tote in the bath tub. If this room has a window, that would be my first choice. Under no circumstances would I brood chicks in my kitchen. Enjoy your little fluff balls.

Put them where ever the dust will be least difficult to clean up. You may find that they are far more messy than you ever thought they could be. Many people, after brooding chicks, say... Never again in the house. I allow my chicks to be in the house for a couple of days, then kick them down to the garage. As long as you have a draft free predator proof place for them, and can keep the temp high enough with a brood lamp, it doesn't matter where they are. The bigger you can make your brooder, the better it will be for the chicks. They should have enough room in the brooder so they can get away from the light to a temp that is around 70 degrees or less. If you don't use the upstairs bathroom, you could set your tote in the bath tub. If this room has a window, that would be my first choice. Under no circumstances would I brood chicks in my kitchen. Enjoy your little fluff balls.
x2

Thanks for the suggestion! The guest bath has a small window but our master has a jetted tub and two very large windows. Definitely dog and toddler proof so that's where they may have to go :lol:

Back
Top Bottom