Brooder Security | Predator Proof?

WalnutTree

Songster
Jun 26, 2020
WA Seattle
I have a year till I get my new flock so I have a year to prepare.
But I would like to build a brooder somewhere different this year, a permanent one.
The only problem is I'm not used to raising them outside, because their is more predators to worry about. So I would like to have my brooder as predator proof as it can get.
I live in Washington, so we have Raccons, Coyotes, Possums, Rats, and Mice (and sometimes on extremely rare cases, bears).
This is the place we will be keeping the brooder in:
0715201600.jpg

(I'll have to fix the door)
But do you think that an animal could get through this netting?

JPEG_20200715_160552_8344750391610280113.jpg

(That was a close up of the doors window)

The rest of the windows (2) have that same set up. Is this predator proof?

Attachments

• JPEG_20200715_155925_553872853715336131.jpg
    JPEG_20200715_155925_553872853715336131.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
Is that 1/2" hardware cloth? I assume the wood trim is screwed in over it? Should be good enough against most predators short of a bear.

What's the shed sitting on? Concrete pad or is it open to the ground? An apron would be advisable if it's sitting on the ground as rats and mice can dig under the walls.

Is that 1/2" hardware cloth? I assume the wood trim is screwed in over it? Should be good enough against most predators short of a bear.

What's the shed sitting on? Concrete pad or is it open to the ground? An apron would be advisable if it's sitting on the ground as rats and mice can dig under the walls.

It is 1/2" hardware cloth and is between the board but the smaller netting is stapled on the inside.
There will be a lock on the door, so it should be more predator proof when that is done.
Before I decided to use the shed as a brooder, I found it littered with mice droppings but I have no idea how they could have gotten in!!
The shed is on timbers, and we have an old wood floor in there as well.

Before I decided to use the shed as a brooder, I found it littered with mice droppings but I have no idea how they could have gotten in!!
The shed is on timbers, and we have an old wood floor in there as well.

Mice can squeeze through 1/2" gaps/holes. So even the tiniest opening can be an avenue in. I'd give it a real good look over for any obvious openings and less obvious ones, like loose boards.

Mice can squeeze through 1/2" gaps/holes. So even the tiniest opening can be an avenue in. I'd give it a real good look over for any obvious openings and less obvious ones, like loose boards.
Wow, mice are real ninjas!! :lol:
Now that I recall, I actually did find two dead mice squashed from the doorway, as of late! They probably got in through the door when it was windy!
I'll definitely give it many checkovers before I finish, thank you for the great info! :D

Back
Top Bottom