Brooder set up questions

GoldieOrpington

Songster
Mar 21, 2021
Seattle, WA
Hi everyone! I’m a brand new chicken mom and just upgraded our brooder for 4 chicks. I’m using a large tote for now, added a MHP and took away the heat lamp, and added a mirror because I read they like them. Now I have a few questions:

1. Is this enough space for now? They’re 4 days old. It seems crowded already with the MHP taking up so much space.

2. They are crazy with the mirror! They peep so loud and constantly when they see themselves. Is the mirror distressing them?

3. They spend a lot of time sleeping under the MHP right now. They do come out when I talk to them and they then eat and drink. I just want to make sure they’re warm enough since they’ve been under a heat lamp the past 4 days.

Thanks so much for any comments and advice!

7CEBD1EE-6F22-4962-B64A-38BFF143FFEB.jpeg

Hi everyone! I’m a brand new chicken mom and just upgraded our brooder for 4 chicks. I’m using a large tote for now, added a MHP and took away the heat lamp, and added a mirror because I read they like them. Now I have a few questions:

1. Is this enough space for now? They’re 4 days old. It seems crowded already with the MHP taking up so much space.

2. They are crazy with the mirror! They peep so loud and constantly when they see themselves. Is the mirror distressing them?

3. They spend a lot of time sleeping under the MHP right now. They do come out when I talk to them and they then eat and drink. I just want to make sure they’re warm enough since they’ve been under a heat lamp the past 4 days.

View attachment 2580828
That's plenty enough space for them. From about 2 weeks you'll need to upgrade them to a bigger enclosure as they can fly out at that age.
I'd personally remove the mirror as it doesn't really have any benefits for them. Looks like a good setup other than that. The most important part of the brooder is the heat source. Newly hatched chicks need to be kept at about 35 degrees C at first and then you can reduce it slowly over approximately six weeks.
Please keep us updated!
Good luck and welcome to BYC! :)

Brooder size is ok for now, as the MHP doesn't eat up as much space as you'd think (the chicks can use the top of it for more room to play, for example) but they're going to outgrow it quick, so hope you have something bigger ready to go.

Mirror isn't really "necessary" as it's more of a recommendation for single birds or maybe to combat boredom issues if they arise, though I find a bigger brooder space to be a better fix for any boredom related issues.

Thanks for your replies! I removed the mirror, and I think that was a good call. They seemed obsessive like it was distracting them from eating or doing anything else. A few days later, and all are happy and healthy. I think they really love the MHP, and I feel better knowing it’s more natural and less of a fire hazard. I’m planning to move them to a puppy play pen in the next couple weeks.

View attachment 2580828
Can I ask how you made your MHP? The paper towel covering clamped on looks unlike what I've read (a towel that hangs over the front and back), and looks like it might be fewer steps to make? And how did it work for you? I'm making an MHP right now for an emergency brooder - Mama rejected chicks the next morning. I'm using a heat lamp right now in the house, but I'd rather try this system since I don't have a red bulb yet and I'm afraid they won't get much sleep tonight with the white light on.

Can I ask how you made your MHP? The paper towel covering clamped on looks unlike what I've read (a towel that hangs over the front and back), and looks like it might be fewer steps to make? And how did it work for you? I'm making an MHP right now for an emergency brooder - Mama rejected chicks the next morning. I'm using a heat lamp right now in the house, but I'd rather try this system since I don't have a red bulb yet and I'm afraid they won't get much sleep tonight with the white light on.
I used a dollar store cooling rack (super thin and bendable) with the heat pad against it then the whole thing inside the heating pad’s cover. I then wrapped it in plastic wrap. The paper towel just made cleaning it easier (I just changed it out every few days) but as the chicks grew, they started picking at it, so I switched to a scrap of old T-shirt that worked great too! I clipped the paper towel/tshirt onto it with cheap clips also from the dollar store.

I thought I’d post an update in case it’s helpful for anyone finding this thread in the future…

The chicks grew fast and moved into a dog crate in the garage 1-2 weeks later:
1FBE5605-4532-40B8-9638-8E6D4252C36A.jpeg

This set up worked great all the way until they were ready to move out to the coop. The mama heating pad was a huge success. I used pavers to raise it as they grew, and the 4 of them fit fine until they no longer needed it.

C33E4130-56C4-45C1-9337-DC7E6A586197.jpeg

Now they are 6 months old, healthy and laying!

Back
Top Bottom