Brooder setup?

I have the lamp wired and latched around the leg of a ladder. The coop just needs a chicken door and im waiting for the wire cloth to come in Thursday to take out the plexiglas windows and switch out with the wire cloth. We did a 10.5x 7ft tough shed because wood is so expensive. We ended up framing the inside walls for extra support. Spanned 2 2x4s across the back wall for there roost. We are also waiting for our electric company to run power to our barn but that should be done in about a week also. The run is 10ftx25ft plus 7 feet high and they also have the deck under the coop in addition which is a 12x8. Running half inch wire cloth and dropping wire under ground 2 ft around the perimeter. My husband is actually going now to get the metal roofing panels to cover the run now :) my next question was going to be on a chicken door. Since there coop and run is predator proof should i use just a standard door?
You don't need to dig down to prevent digging. A 2 ft apron works well. Pin it down on the far edge with landscape pins and let the grass grow up through it.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/attachments/predator-apron-jpg.1835210/
My setup is similar. My run is as predator-proof as my coop and I never close the pop door between the two.
As soon as you get the run buttoned up and power to the coop, I'd move them out with just the brooder plate.

You don't need to dig down to prevent digging. A 2 ft apron works well. Pin it down on the far edge with landscape pins and let the grass grow up through it.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/attachments/predator-apron-jpg.1835210/
My setup is similar. My run is as predator-proof as my coop and I never close the pop door between the two.
As soon as you get the run buttoned up and power to the coop, I'd move them out with just the brooder plate.
My husband wants to bury it a few inches because he doesn't want to take the chance hitting it with our mowers. Im ready to move them out. I didn't realize how bad they stink. Lol I dont know how people keep them in there house for several weeks. What type of door did you buy?

Its staying about 95 under the heat lamp. The other side is around 65 degrees. I put the heat plate in there because i was affraid the area was to large. Only 2 of the bigger chicks are using the heat plate the rest like the lamp. Should i remove the heat plate?

Probably doesn't hurt to have it but if only 2 chicks are using it, it's mostly just taking up space. Temperature away from lamp is low so that's a good thing, it gives them a lot of gradient to work with in warming up/cooling down.

Probably doesn't hurt to have it but if only 2 chicks are using it, it's mostly just taking up space. Temperature away from lamp is low so that's a good thing, it gives them a lot of gradient to work with in warming up/cooling down.
Now about half are using the heat plate. Im going to shut the lamp off the end of the week. I think they were not real sure about the plate at 1st. Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom