Brooder supplies

Welp time to add that onto the shopping cart again. Question: if I get a brooder plate and one day my power gets cut. In the like 5 seconds it takes for our generator to turn on... will the brooder plate turn back on too? Or would I have to turn it on again?

To test this, turn your brooder plate on. Then go to the electric box and turn the electricity for that section off (so if it's in your room, you turn off the breaker for your room). Then turn the breaker back on. Go back and see if the brooder plate is still going.

We've got a generator too and most things keep running - except radio clocks.

If it doesn't turn itself back on, I would be surprised.

To test this, turn your brooder plate on. Then go to the electric box and turn the electricity for that section off (so if it's in your room, you turn off the breaker for your room). Then turn the breaker back on. Go back and see if the brooder plate is still going.

Honestly I would keep chicks in my room for the first 8 weeks of their lifes but I dont have a plastic bin big enough. I aslo expect the heating plate to act like a light, if you unplug it while it's on, then plug it back in, it turns back on. Also, how do you set the heat for the heating plate?

Last edited:
Would I just extend the metal... or the whole roof?

The whole roof. For the simplest, remember that plywood comes in 4ft x 8ft sheets, so if you expand, do it with as little cutting as possible. If you can tell me more detail, I can make better suggestions.

. I don't know the dimensions of your chosen coop roof dimension.

Metal - at least the standard Lowes or Home Depot stuff - is in 3ft wide sections.

I have a park near me... and I found chicken leashes. So I thought.. why not bike to the park and take my chicken on a walk?

While that sounds cute (and some people do try it, with mixed results) how will you handle it if dogs approach you?

Good thing to check though. For example, heating pads don't always turn themselves back on, so that's a concern with a homemade set up.

The whole roof. For the simplest, remember that plywood comes in 4ft x 8ft sheets, so if you expand, do it with as little cutting as possible. If you can tell me more detail, I can make better suggestions.

. I don't know the dimensions of your chosen coop roof dimension.

Metal - at least the standard Lowes or Home Depot stuff - is in 3ft wide sections.
I can tell you in the morning... right now I'm on my phone and I cant access the plans

I found these coop plans on my pet chicken. When It says 8 feet deep, does that mean length? View attachment 2486274
I am just reading through this thread. A coop of 7'6" x4' x 6'4" sounds like our coop. It has sort of worked out for our needs. But boy do I wish it were bigger. See our coop article. Also I just did an article How many will fit?. Might be worth taking a look at this.

As to your main question, we have brooded twice. First time indoors in a plastic tub/carboard box, with a heat lamp. We were rookies and lost a few. The second time we brooded outdoors in a pretty large enclosure in the run, using the MHP (Momma Heating Pad). That was a complete success.

Honestly I would keep chicks in my room for the first 8 weeks of their lifes but I dont have a plastic bin big enough. I aslo expect the heating plate to act like a light, if you unplug it while it's on, then plug it back in, it turns back on. Also, how do you set the heat for the heating plate?

Trust me - you won't want them in your room for 8 weeks. The poops get much bigger (and smellier) and they will long since have been ready for a bigger space. And can fly!

Whichever heating plate you choose will come with directions on how to set it.

Back
Top Bottom