Brooder to coop

slk70

Chirping
Mar 9, 2020
My girls are 6 weeks old and I’m thinking I’ll move them from the brooder in our garage to their outside coop and run this weekend. Nighttime temps for the rest of the month will be high 50’s/low 60’s. I usually have the heat lamp on at night only.
Are the temps okay to move them? If so, should I continue using the heat lamp?
Girls are Jersey Giants, RIR, Furuguays (2 of each)
Thanks so much!

Certainly ok to move them out. At 6 weeks they’ll be plenty feathered depending on how their outdoor coop is built. I kept my heating lamp for another 2 weeks but they moved outside when nighttime temps were in the 20s to 30s. I wouldn’t use the lamp if I were you if the temps are dropping to the 50s. They’ll huddle up and be just fine!

Certainly ok to move them out. At 6 weeks they’ll be plenty feathered depending on how their outdoor coop is built. I kept my heating lamp for another 2 weeks but they moved outside when nighttime temps were in the 20s to 30s. I wouldn’t use the lamp if I were you if the temps are dropping to the 50s. They’ll huddle up and be just fine!
8BE3B1D4-D913-4488-98F0-B1FB9B166AB0.jpeg

this is my coop. The window you can see is hardware cloth, as is a window in the door and on the opposite side. There is a hole in the floor where the ladder is. Do you think this will be too drafty at night? I am going to get window covers before next winter but don’t have them yet.

Thank you! I feel much better about moving them!
Temps are similar here in my area and mine are doing just fine outside at 2weeks and change with no supplemental heat. I hardened them off by weaning off heat til it was basically room temp in the house then daily trips outside for increasing amounts of time.
Thank you! Mine have only been outside a couple of times...mainly because of the hassle of moving them from where they are, but I’m feeling more confident about moving them after reading all the responses.

Yeah, it's a huge hassle! Lol

I had a smaller tote that I used specifically for that purpose, just piled em all in and hauled em out. They'll be totally fine! Our temps this morning dipped to 53, and when I was checking on them this morning they were all strutting around fluffed up like cotton balls.

When they get cool, they'll cuddle up for warmth.

this is my coop. The window you can see is hardware cloth, as is a window in the door and on the opposite side. There is a hole in the floor where the ladder is. Do you think this will be too drafty at night? I am going to get window covers before next winter but don’t have them yet.

I think you may need more ventilation, protected from winds and rain of course. What kind of temperature swings do you see through the year?

Back
Top Bottom