Brooder toys for baby chicks?

Roosts, as was mentioned, for sure. Also they love to climb on things, little log chunks, branches, pieces of wood....I call it chicken furniture....make these roosting options higher and higher as they grow. These options help them develop coordination and balance as well as providing diversion.
View attachment 1772745 View attachment 1772746 View attachment 1772747

View attachment 1772749
You’re absolutely right.
I’m noticing my broody raised chicks are way more coordinated at a much younger age than my brooder raised chicks were.
My most recent broody had her 5 day old chicks negotiating a ramp 18” high.

I brood with a mama heating pad in the house for about 2 weeks, then they move to the coop brooder. Here's some enrichment ideas that I provide for my chicks:
  • shallow container (or cake pan) filled with sand or untreated potting soil for dust baths
  • mirror for chicks to admire themselves
  • After chicks are 2 weeks old, I put in a chunk of sod from outside to help chicks start building immunities to their future environment. They love scratching a dirt clod and nibbling the grass.
  • Short visits outside to the grass are also fun on sunny days.
  • a sturdy perch made from scrap wood or branches
  • A tunnel or something to hide under, maybe a box. My chicks are now off heat but they still like to nestle under the heating pad cave.
I also raise the food and water containers on a platform or bricks to try and keep the water cleaner, and feed from being scratched out. I also added some chick-sized grit to the dust bath, they enjoy sorting through it. With grit available, 2 week old chicks can start having a very small amount of nutritious treats, like scrambled egg or mealworms.

1setupB.jpg coop-brooder-grass.jpg 3brooder.jpg

Last edited:
Roosts, as was mentioned, for sure. Also they love to climb on things, little log chunks, branches, pieces of wood....I call it chicken furniture....make these roosting options higher and higher as they grow. These options help them develop coordination and balance as well as providing diversion.

Yes, I think I will upgrade my roosts and put them up a little higher. Thanks for the pics.

...Here's some enrichment ideas that I provide for my chicks:
  • shallow container (or cake pan) filled with sand or untreated potting soil for dust baths
  • mirror for chicks to admire themselves
  • After chicks are 2 weeks old, I put in a chunk of sod from outside to help chicks start building immunities to their future environment. They love scratching a dirt clod and nibbling the grass.
  • Short visits outside to the grass are also fun on sunny days.
  • a sturdy perch made from scrap wood or branches
  • A tunnel or something to hide under, maybe a box. My chicks are now off heat but they still like to nestle under the heating pad cave.
I also raise the food and water containers on a platform or bricks to try and keep the water cleaner, and feed from being scratched out. I also added some chick-sized grit to the dust bath, they enjoy sorting through it. With grit available, 2 week old chicks can start having a very small amount of nutritious treats, like scrambled egg or mealworms.

Lots of good suggestions, thanks. I have a small pen for them to bring outside when it gets warmer. I think they will like that. Had not thought about a small box, but certainly have those around the house. I can make a small dust bath for them, that would be easy.

Stumps, mirror, swing, Dust bath, Roosts at different levels.

Thanks for the idea of the stump. I could make one easily as I live on 3 acres of wooded lot.

As to the swing, do the chickens really like those swings? I have seen the swings on YouTube videos, BUT never with a chicken on them! One guy said his hens never use the swings he made.

Thanks for the idea of the stump. I could make one easily as I live on 3 acres of wooded lot.

As to the swing, do the chickens really like those swings? I have seen the swings on YouTube videos, BUT never with a chicken on them! One guy said his hens never use the swings he made.
Only my chicks use the swing and never adults though. I just leave it hanging. I have stumps and a large rock too that my Birds use..my Birds hone their beak on the rock or bricks in the Coop that holds up my water containers.

Back
Top Bottom