Brooder toys for baby chicks?

gtaus

Crossing the Road
5 Years
Mar 29, 2019
Northern Minnesota
My Coop
My Coop
I have my first flock of 10 laying hens that are two week old chicks in a brooder in my attached garage. I am wondering if there are brooder toys or items of amusement I could provide the chicks as they mature?

The chicks like scratching in the wood chips and pine shavings, but the only feed I give them is chick starter. So I doubt the scratching is turning up any tasty bugs. I do mound up the chips and shavings about 8 inches high in one corner, but it only takes about 10 minutes for the chicks to scratch that all done to level. I have two small pine tree branches for them to jump up on and roost, which they do sometimes. But that's about it for amusement.

I am still a good 3-4 weeks away from letting them outside in a pen here in northern Minnesota. The days are still only mid 50F's, and nights still drop below freezing. So if I could keep these chicks happy with some toys that would be great. Or is it only me that thinks the chicks would benefit from some distractions and the chicks themselves really don't care one way or the other?

Roosts, as was mentioned, for sure. Also they love to climb on things, little log chunks, branches, pieces of wood....I call it chicken furniture....make these roosting options higher and higher as they grow. These options help them develop coordination and balance as well as providing diversion.
baby roost.jpg baby roost2.jpg baby roost3.jpg

baby roost5.jpg

...use the saucer for treats that are kind of wet...add warm water to the chick feed in the saucer to make a mash...make a little roost for them too...

I have been hesitant to give any treats to the chicks. I read somewhere to hold off the table scraps until 6 weeks old. Had not thought about the chick starter mash, I will try that for sure. I made two small pine branch roosts for them, and they do perch on those from time to time. Thanks.

I brood with a mama heating pad in the house for about 2 weeks, then they move to the coop brooder. Here's some enrichment ideas that I provide for my chicks:
  • shallow container (or cake pan) filled with sand or untreated potting soil for dust baths
  • mirror for chicks to admire themselves
  • After chicks are 2 weeks old, I put in a chunk of sod from outside to help chicks start building immunities to their future environment. They love scratching a dirt clod and nibbling the grass.
  • Short visits outside to the grass are also fun on sunny days.
  • a sturdy perch made from scrap wood or branches
  • A tunnel or something to hide under, maybe a box. My chicks are now off heat but they still like to nestle under the heating pad cave.
I also raise the food and water containers on a platform or bricks to try and keep the water cleaner, and feed from being scratched out. I also added some chick-sized grit to the dust bath, they enjoy sorting through it. With grit available, 2 week old chicks can start having a very small amount of nutritious treats, like scrambled egg or mealworms.

1setupB.jpg coop-brooder-grass.jpg 3brooder.jpg

Last edited:
Mine didn't go for the bell in the ball either.

I removed the bell in the ball yesterday. None of the chicks had any interest in it and it was just getting in their way. I left the mirror in the brooder, not because I have seen any interest in it, but it is flat up against the wall and does not take up any space.

I got out my chainsaw and cut up a 6 inch round truck of a fallen birch tree. I made 2 platforms for my 2 mason quart jar waterers which keeps them higher above the ground and cleaner from the chickens scratching the bedding into the waterer. I also made a stump from the birch tree. It is about 6 inches high. The chicks took to it very fast and within 10 minutes they were taking turns jumping on top of it and knocking each other off. Later, in the day I saw two or three chicks on the stump just roosting, so that stump idea seems like it was very good.

I have also been pulling dandelions and other weeds and giving it to them in small quantities. Probably not a toy, but a nice distraction none the less and anything they can eat seems appreciated. They like scratching in the greens.

Last edited:
Pulling up a few pieces of sod is an excellent way to give them some enrichment in their environment.
I will also get a terra cotta plant saucer and put some chick feed in it mixed with some chick grit and some Ultra Kibble for chicks. They love it.
You could also use the saucer for treats that are kind of wet so it doesn’t get so messy and full of shavings but it usually ends up messy anyway lol.
Or you could add warm water to the chick feed in the saucer to make a mash...they go nuts for that too.

Try to find or make a little roost for them too. Mine like to sit lined up on it especially right before they go to bed.

Back
Top Bottom