Brooder toys for baby chicks?

...Here's some enrichment ideas that I provide for my chicks:
  • shallow container (or cake pan) filled with sand or untreated potting soil for dust baths
  • mirror for chicks to admire themselves
  • After chicks are 2 weeks old, I put in a chunk of sod from outside to help chicks start building immunities to their future environment. They love scratching a dirt clod and nibbling the grass.
  • Short visits outside to the grass are also fun on sunny days.
  • a sturdy perch made from scrap wood or branches
  • A tunnel or something to hide under, maybe a box. My chicks are now off heat but they still like to nestle under the heating pad cave.
I also raise the food and water containers on a platform or bricks to try and keep the water cleaner, and feed from being scratched out. I also added some chick-sized grit to the dust bath, they enjoy sorting through it. With grit available, 2 week old chicks can start having a very small amount of nutritious treats, like scrambled egg or mealworms.

Lots of good suggestions, thanks. I have a small pen for them to bring outside when it gets warmer. I think they will like that. Had not thought about a small box, but certainly have those around the house. I can make a small dust bath for them, that would be easy.

Stumps, mirror, swing, Dust bath, Roosts at different levels.

Thanks for the idea of the stump. I could make one easily as I live on 3 acres of wooded lot.

As to the swing, do the chickens really like those swings? I have seen the swings on YouTube videos, BUT never with a chicken on them! One guy said his hens never use the swings he made.

..nipple waterers...And you have clean water all the time with these.

I have been thinking about making a nipple waterer out of a 5 gallon bucket, but I might go with the horizontal nipples instead of the vertical nipples. Either way, I really like the idea of always having clean water. For now, I am just using my old screw on jar waterers which I have had for years.

I forgot to say i think they like distractions. If they are too bored, they pick at each other.

Yes, I want to try to prevent those negative behaviors. My chicks are in a brooder in our attached garage and don't get real direct sunlight. On a warmer day, I do lift the garage doors and they get real light and fresh air. But it's not like they are running outside with a mama hen taking care of them.

Back
Top Bottom