Brooder toys for baby chicks?

Roosts, as was mentioned, for sure. Also they love to climb on things, little log chunks, branches, pieces of wood....I call it chicken furniture....make these roosting options higher and higher as they grow. These options help them develop coordination and balance as well as providing diversion.
View attachment 1772745 View attachment 1772746 View attachment 1772747

View attachment 1772749
You’re absolutely right.
I’m noticing my broody raised chicks are way more coordinated at a much younger age than my brooder raised chicks were.
My most recent broody had her 5 day old chicks negotiating a ramp 18” high.

Thanks for the idea of the stump. I could make one easily as I live on 3 acres of wooded lot.

As to the swing, do the chickens really like those swings? I have seen the swings on YouTube videos, BUT never with a chicken on them! One guy said his hens never use the swings he made.
Only my chicks use the swing and never adults though. I just leave it hanging. I have stumps and a large rock too that my Birds use..my Birds hone their beak on the rock or bricks in the Coop that holds up my water containers.

I agree with getaclue, don't overdo the treats. Putting their regular food in a different container is a treat. And Sue T is also right--perches are it, the best furniture. Count on them being on top of every toy you add to the brooder.
And gtaus is right, a mama hen keeps every chick on the run, no time to be bored...
But if you don't have mama hen, here's a sample of the "toys" I put in the brooder. Notice the hot cup (the heat lamp keeps it warm, and the lid, or placing the cup upside down, keeps them from falling in). The "first chicken" to hatch is sometimes lonely until the next one hatches, and the cup really provides a little warm companionship.
I put their food in a clear pyrex or anchor-hocking custard cup, and even day-old chicks will hop up on it and peck at the sides of it ("how come I can see this food but not eat it from the side").
I also put a box in that they can hide in or go into and come out of.
I put in a water bottle with a few pebbles or marbles too big to be swallowed in the water tray.

Brooder Babies IMG_20190502_230105587.jpg

I have tried some of the suggestions given here. I gave the chicks a 6X6 chunk of sod, which they at first ignored, then jumped on, then tore it apart after about 1 hour. So I will try that again.

I have put a mirror in the brooder, but I have yet to see the chicks show any interest in it.

I also purchased a plastic ball with a bell inside (cat toy) and suspended it on a bungee cord from the wire top of the brooder. So far, the chicks have stayed away from it, but it is too early to tell if they will like it.

I did make a sand bath for them in a small plastic container. One of the chicks showed interest in the sandbox and after scratching around for awhile, she laid down and gave herself a dust bath.

I plan on trying some of the other suggestions. Thank you.

Mine take any opportunity for a dust bath - pile of shavings, sod with good sandy dirt.

I’ve given them a little bit of scrambled egg (1/2 egg for 4 chicks) one day, a few berries another. This was a huge source of entertainment (for us and the chicks!).

They love their branches. This thread reminds me to get a mirror!

My 3 week old chicks have not really shown any interest in the mirror I placed in the brooder about 2 days ago. They also don't seem to care about the hanging plastic ball with bell in it (cat toy) that I suspended above the bedding. I'll give them both a few more days, but if they don't show more interest in those toys, I'll just remove them and try some of the other ideas posted on this thread.

Mine didn't go for the bell in the ball either.

Back
Top Bottom