brooder

Instead of perches, I've read that ducks like to play with toilet paper tubes so maybe cut one down into short pieces for them to have fun with?

ETA: Pyxis makes a good point, they might get stuck so ignore what I wrote and don't give them tubes as toys.

Last edited:
Ducks don't perch, so that's why I asked. It's better to take all that stuff out and just let them have space to run around in than have perches and things because they won't use them :)

Mine have never played with tubes either and I'd be concerned that they would end up stuck in one.

So, I would definitely put some kind of liner down, remove the perches and ramps, and start looking into make a nice duckling waterer, since chick waterers don't work well for ducklings :)

6EE50397-3602-47AF-8B30-46800952300C.jpeg Good thing I asked! I bought this waterer and feeder on amazon... Do you think they’ll be OK for ducklings?

View attachment 1215203 Good thing I asked! I bought this waterer and feeder on amazon... Do you think they’ll be OK for ducklings?

The feeder is fine, but the waterer isn't great because they will splash the water right out of it and soak the brooder. Plus, it's not deep enough - ducklings need to be able to get their whole bills underwater so they can flush out their nares.

You'll want to make something like these:

bea2eb1d23bfa4df0d595b90644b9c76--raising-ducks-duck-duck.jpg

e589fc1f680fa5a9e09613a9da74d78b.jpg

The feeder is fine, but the waterer isn't great because they will splash the water right out of it and soak the brooder. Plus, it's not deep enough - ducklings need to be able to get their whole bills underwater so they can flush out their nares.

You'll want to make something like these:

bea2eb1d23bfa4df0d595b90644b9c76--raising-ducks-duck-duck.jpg

e589fc1f680fa5a9e09613a9da74d78b.jpg

X2

Not only that, but their bills don't fit right in the quail waterers...

I’ll have to look into making one of those. So what can I do to keep them from being bored and pecking each other?

Also, leave some space (not just a hand space) between the food and water... they'll wear themselves out going back and forth between bites of food for drinks so when they're done they'll duckling pile and sleep... ;)

I made a bunch of stuff like that in my first brooder,
it was fun to do but totally unrealistic,
and very hard to clean with all that stuff in there.
For chicken chicks would be flying out of there by one week old,
not sure about ducklings.

Back
Top Bottom