Brooder

Valley chick

Chirping
Jun 17, 2020
Northern California
Hi, I'm going to be Ordering chicks for the first time, I've purchased a Cozy radiant heat, and plan on putting it in a large plastic type dog kennel with wire ventilation along the top it seems to keep heat in better than all wire, I have to have it enclosed due to kids,cats,dogs ,for lighting source hang a battery operated lantern on the cage door? Only getting a few chicks , I live in northern California so if I do this in Spring it does warm up outside pretty quickly it won't be for to long any advice ? I don't like heat lamps with small kids
Thank you I look forward to any input

Sounds like you have already purchased everything so it is what it is unless you want to return it.

Are you brooding inside your house or outside? The ideal brooder keeps one area warm enough in the coolest conditions but also keeps an area cool enough in the warmest conditions. If you are brooding inside a climate controlled house that's not al that hard to do. Outside with weather swings it can be more challenging. Over-heating can be as dangerous than too cool. I don't know how you control the heat but that would be my biggest concern, that you overheat the chicks.

Inside, I had purchased this a few years ago when I had a few chicks that were a couple of weeks old when I discontinued heat lamp, I do wish it wasn't verticle either but it was my first batch at that time, now I know, but being it's only going to be 2 or 3 chicks I'm hoping inside the kennel in my house these will be my first I've ever ordered at 1 day , do you think it will work? I don't want to purchase another for a couple when it still works

Back
Top Bottom