Broodies on eggs? Broodies with babies? Post here.

Quote:
Pretty mama, but I gotta tell you that baby pic is just too cute!!
How adorable. I'm smitten with mine but looking at everyone else's is like "wow" (my first chicken babies ever, pheasants are completely different!) Some how "it's a wonderful world" song keeps popping into my head whenever I look at all these babies!
big_smile.png

Thank you! Yours are all cuties too, and the parents are stunning. Baby 3 arrived finally! We will have to get more pics.

I have 7 babies now!!

Not sure if anymore are coming but out of the original 9 when I checked two weeks ago...there are more eggs in there ( she laid a few while sitting, is that normal?) and one of them was pecked out at the top but a dead one inside...I'm assuming she did it because it was before they hatched. Anyhoo, here are a few pictures I took this am. Sooo exciting! My granddaughter popped a gasket looking at them when I lifted mama!

Good Mommy!
22459_img_0620.jpg

All seven:
22459_img_0622.jpg

How cute!
22459_img_0624.jpg

one more:
22459_img_0626.jpg

Your pics are so cute! My boy's loved seeing you showing the kids. I don't let my kids in the coop since they are pretty small and the roo's keep attacking them.

I candled in the middle of the night, and my chicks are still alive!
yippiechickie.gif

Today or tommorow is hatch day:jumpy:fl:fl:fl

Quote:
Oh it is so exciting...even my husband is in awe and thrilled...high fived me...I have a door to the inside of my coop that we boarded off so she was alone so the rooster can't get in. GOOD LUCK! Make sure you send pics!!!

All the chicks are so so so cute!!! I love watching our babies with their momma. She went from being a broody pancake, to being a broody tent. Isn't it fun!!!!

I wanted to say to those with a hatch going on that you might want to be careful about lifting the broody off the nest. Melissa was telling me that when you do that, you allow the temp/humidity to drop and the membrane can shrink and then the chick can't pip. Sure enough, I had 2 fully formed chicks that hadn't pipped. I felt like I had killed them by lifting the broody.
Momma knows what to do, so let her as best you can.

I will have to post later with pics. Our Penny takes the chicks out in the coop for a walk when we open her cage. She takes a little dust bath and makes the funniest noises. the chicks follow her and wonder what she is doing.

I still need help sexing my Marans, so I will post their pics.

Oh gee... thank you for that posting. Im was considering candling her eggs today but I was beginning to think better of disturbing her. I think I will just let her decide whether or not her eggs are viable.

I was specifically talking about the last couple of days or DuRinG the hatch. If the eggs have a ways to go, then you can probably candle without much damage. I have read that people have noticed higher hatch rates when they don't candle, but who knows.
Just don't lift the broody while eggs are hatching. Hope that helps.

So what is she gets of the nest? To like go potty and eat. And to day is day 12 is it ok to candel to night? Its going to be nice out side to day! YEAH! lol Sorry.

Chicken Girl

Back
Top Bottom