Broodiness tips?

Capricoco

Songster
Mar 17, 2022
I’m trying to get my hens to go broody this year, is there any particular thing that might help? So far I’m putting a lot of hope in my silkie hen, since silkies are the broodiest-brooder-in-all-of-broodkind but so far in her 3 years of life hasn’t had the slightest interest in motherhood; has never even attempted to hatch chicks; but I’m hoping this year will be different since we improved our hen-to-rooster ratio and upgraded pen size, and she’s never looked better. Most of the other chickens in with her aren’t even yearlings, and for the most part not the broody type so I think she might be my only hope. I’m just not sure, should I just give up on a hen going broody and just use my incubator and stop potentially wasting eggs, or let nature do it’s work?

I’m trying to get my hens to go broody this year, is there any particular thing that might help? So far I’m putting a lot of hope in my silkie hen, since silkies are the broodiest-brooder-in-all-of-broodkind but so far in her 3 years of life hasn’t had the slightest interest in motherhood; has never even attempted to hatch chicks; but I’m hoping this year will be different since we improved our hen-to-rooster ratio and upgraded pen size, and she’s never looked better. Most of the other chickens in with her aren’t even yearlings, and for the most part not the broody type so I think she might be my only hope. I’m just not sure, should I just give up on a hen going broody and just use my incubator and stop potentially wasting eggs, or let nature do it’s work?
I TOTALLY understand this, I am going through this right now.

But, according to a lot of people, golf balls encourage broodiness.

You can't really encourage a hen to go broody, it's a hormone thing.
Well hormones never seem to be on my side… got 6 unsexed chicks hoping for a rooster, got all hens; got 1 “female” chick and it was a rooster. Seems like the chicken hormone gods don’t like me much at all. Oh well guess I might as well try. Decided to leave eggs out for a week and then collect, even got hay and nest pads for good nests. Hopefully that’s enough to convince them that sitting on eggs for a month wouldn’t be too bad… hopefully.

Back
Top Bottom