Do you brood chicks inside your home?

• Total voters
We brood inside using a "mama heating pad" for heat. Started them out in large clear plastic storage bin with hardware cloth top, then transitioned to the spare shower (walled stand-up shower with a door). Covered the floor and bottom portion of the walls with tarp attached with command hooks and tape.

I would totally use the garage after the first week or so if we had one with electrical. No such luck. I like them in the plastic bin for the first week or two though so I can keep a close eye on them and enjoy the cuteness.

My wife had the first chicks we got (bought from Orscheln) in a brooder I built that we made me put in our bonus room until they were 8 weeks old. One day, she came home and said "when did they start to stink so bad?!?" I told her it started the first week.

Now, our brooder is a heavy duty Rubbermaid livestock water trough in our mudroom with a heat lamp suspended over it on a chain so it can be moved up as the chicks grow and need less heat.

She is still addicted to chicks but is happier with them and their chick-stink out of the house proper.
honestly i can not wait till they are fully out! i love having them and having them in but... gods the smell and dust and everything!

Back
Top Bottom