brooding my chicks in the shed?

They can do absolutely fine in a shed if you carefully make preparations. Mama hens don't brood their chicks in the house, now do they?
wink.png

In this pic, you will notice two heat lamps - in case one bulb blows out. You can experiment with the wattage of the bulbs until you find the right combination so as not to overheat the chicks.
The plastic around the PVC frame is a draft guard; though the shed was airtight. The shed normally houses my DH's Harley, so you can bet it's airtight.
The oil-filled electric heater we only used for a few days, as back up.
This system worked well for us the first time and I'll be using it again this spring. The weather around here is too unpredictable at this time of year. I'm waiting for spring.

P4090017.jpg

thats a very nice set up! when i get mine done i will have to take some pics and try to post them. thanks for the pic that helped alot.
thumbsup.gif

One more thing. Secure your heat lamps in AT LEAST two ways. In the pic you can see that they attached to the frame with chains and then zip-tied. Little chicks can find all kinds of trouble to get into, including finding ways to knock their heat lamps down.

Quote:
Well, my biggest concern is how to keep my mammoth cat out of the brooder. have you had any issue with keeping your indoor pets out of the brooder? I have a wireless mini cam with night vision and such for the brooder in the shed, and a baby moniter (lol i am that crazy) so i thought they would be better off out there
sad.png
now I am second guessing!!!

We have 2 dogs that are full time in the house (1 choc. lab and a shichi) plus a few cats that are supposed to be outside, but don't care. We keep a rubbermaid box in a room with a heat lamp for our chicks and the door stays closed and no animals allowed. Just as a precaution though if one would run in, we keep a piece of chicken fence on top of the tub in case we miss one. When we are in there then, the fence comes off after we're sure no animals are in there. It has worked great so far.
I would worry like crazy that something would happen with the breaker or the bulb or something.

Good luck on whatever you try
smile.png
Everyone has different ways on what works best for them. As long as youre having fun, then thats what matters right?

Back
Top Bottom