Broods of Chicks dying

GoslingHelp

Hatching
May 12, 2023
I have been hatching chicks and geese. Twice now, I have had entire broods suddenly up and die. They'll be fine until I come back and they will be peeping loudly and gasping for breath. Almost immediately all of them will lie down, gasp for breath, peep, and die. Does anyone know what this is and how to help? It's happened with both chicks and goslings.

Very Puzzling. Do you know what the brooder temperature is?????
Also,,,, how many in numbers are you loosing at each time??
Another question,,,,,, are there any volatile substances in the general area. ?

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

The brooding temperature stays about 100 degrees all the time, give or take. I have lost up to 15 chicks at a time without warning. As for the final question, I do not believe so.
Thanks much!

The brooding temperature stays about 100 degrees all the time, give or take. I have lost up to 15 chicks at a time without warning. As for the final question, I do not believe so.
Thanks much!
Id say completely change brooders, feed, everything. Something is obviously going on that is most likely environmental. Maybe even give them bottled distilled water.

If you use a thermometer, get another one to verify temps.

I have been hatching chicks and geese. Twice now, I have had entire broods suddenly up and die. They'll be fine until I come back and they will be peeping loudly and gasping for breath. Almost immediately all of them will lie down, gasp for breath, peep, and die. Does anyone know what this is and how to help? It's happened with both chicks and goslings.

Thanks much!
Photos of brooder?

100F for the whole brooder is too hot.

You only need one warm spot in the brooder. Reduce the temperature on the warm side to 85F or so.
The other end of the brooder needs to be cool (room temperature), place feed and water on that end.

Do you have a heat light in your brooder? Have you lost all the chicks you've tried to raise in this brooder, or have some survived?

Back
Top Bottom