broody and salmonella in the flock

chickengr

Crossing the Road
9 Years
Dec 29, 2014
greece
hi,
I have a broody sitting on the eggs for 4 days. today the vet diagnosed salmonella in my flock - one pullet cannot stand at all. he gave me baytril to treat them. will baytril help to hatch healthy chicks? there are 7 eggs, 2 brahma and 5 polish.

as this is my first experience with chickens and she is my first broody I am a bit concerned when she gets up and leave the eggs. she stayed 1 night on the eggs and the next morning got a sort of panic attack and started to run. I don't know for how long she left the eggs before I noticed her. the eggs were neither hot nor cold. today she did the same thing after sitting on the eggs for 3 days without getting out. she eats a bit without getting out of the nest.

Broody hens usually take a break once/twice a day to eat, poop, stretch, dust bathe etc... The break can easily be up to an hour (which is why incubators often have a "cool off setting" to mimic a mama bird getting off the nest).

Your vet diagnosed salmonella in a chicken???? Does this vet see many chickens? Many many chickens carry salmonella naturally, up to 80% of free range chickens carry salmonella, it is extremely common in all egg bearing animals (i.e. birds, snakes etc...).

If your chicken can't walk I would suspect other causes, and if a vet told me my chicken was sick because they had salmonella I would demand to get my money back.

Last edited:
Broody hens usually take a break once/twice a day to eat, poop, stretch, dust bathe etc... The break can easily be up to an hour (which is why incubators often have a "cool off setting" to mimic a mama bird getting off the nest).

Your vet diagnosed salmonella in a chicken???? Does this vet see many chickens? Many many chickens carry salmonella naturally, up to 80% of free range chickens carry salmonella, it is extremely common in all egg bearing animals (i.e. birds, snakes etc...).

If your chicken can't walk I would suspect other causes, and if a vet told me my chicken was sick because they had salmonella I would demand to get my money back.

he has been treating my flock which recentely had infectious brinchitis followed by e. colli. this salmonella is just next step as they have other symptoms (yellow diarrhea, drop in egg production, soft shelled eggs, blood inside and outside eggs, etc) and just 1 cannot walk. as he has got chickens himself I bet he put some effort to learn about chickens.

thank you for the information about broody, I can relax now as she wasn't out of nest for long.

Back
Top Bottom