Broody breaker 101

I break my broodies outdoors, in a sectioned off part of the run, not in a crate. Does the same job, except it's more comfortable and less stressful for the broody. It has worked really well for me!

Here's a description of my method:
A more humane broody jail that actually works!
Lovely coop and run! It’s an oasis! I see you live in Bean Town! How do they do in the winter??? Where do you put your chickens during the yearly blizzards!! I lived across Fenway park for 4 years!!!! Lovely town.

I break my broodies outdoors, in a sectioned off part of the run, not in a crate. Does the same job, except it's more comfortable and less stressful for the broody. It has worked really well for me!

Here's a description of my method:
A more humane broody jail that actually works!
My girl is super tame. She lets me hug her and she perches on my shoulder like a parrot. Even being broody she is very gentle with me when she puffs up and barely pecks at me. I hope she doesn’t hate me now and become less tame since you mentioned your personal concern with your chickens trust.

Last edited:
My crates are ~24"L x 18"W x 21"H.
I use 1x2 mesh for bottom.

My experience goes about like this: After her setting for 3 days and nights in the nest (or as soon as I know they are broody), I put her in a wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller wire(1x2) on the bottom but no bedding, set up on a couple of 4x4's right in the coop or run with feed and water.

After 48 hours I let her out of crate very near roosting time(30-60 mins) if she goes to roost great, if she goes to nest put her back in crate for another 48 hours.

Tho not necessary a chunk of 2x4 for a 'roost' was added to crate floor, gives the feet a break from the wire floor and encourages roosting.
1643371053552.png

My crates are ~24"L x 18"W x 21"H.
I use 1x2 mesh for bottom.

My experience goes about like this: After her setting for 3 days and nights in the nest (or as soon as I know they are broody), I put her in a wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller wire(1x2) on the bottom but no bedding, set up on a couple of 4x4's right in the coop or run with feed and water.

After 48 hours I let her out of crate very near roosting time(30-60 mins) if she goes to roost great, if she goes to nest put her back in crate for another 48 hours.

Tho not necessary a chunk of 2x4 for a 'roost' was added to crate floor, gives the feet a break from the wire floor and encourages roosting.
View attachment 2975401
I have seen this pic of yours 100 times. I just now noticed the tiny sign of shame. 🤣

Dog crates work so so. Even without bedding they get warm enough to stay broody on a floor. I like to break them fast, less hassle for me and less stress for them. Wire bottom container raise off the ground. I have a 2'X2' cage with bottom pan that holds cage 3 inches up. Think it's a rabbit cage but works great for breaking and transporting birds. Put them in one morning and let them out three mornings later. Two days in cage will break most but it's such a pain if it doesn't take so keep them for full three days regardless.

I don't have a crate or cage to put a broody hen into. I use a short plastic container with lid that is close to the size of the nesting box. Put ice in the container and change it 2 or 3 times a day. The hen doesn't stay broody long while sitting on that cold container.

When I think of doge crates I'm talking about the plastic ones with wire door. Those don't work well as there is no removable bottom.

A person could quickly build from wood or cut a plastic tote bottom and figure a way to secure hardware cloth to it. Then hardware cloth a window. If that's too much work or you don't already have the materials for it on hand then a small rabbit cage from Tractor Supply is $30.

2ft cage-
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/dumor-24-in-rabbit-cage-hlf1700-1457219

That's bigger than you need really but hard to find something smaller. Works well for transporting multiple birds to the fair or holding them for sale too. Not a bad investment.

Back
Top Bottom