Broody breaking in cold weather

I got Casey into the crate. She is definitely not pleased and is continually hunting for the exit. I am confident though that she is safe in there and has everything she needs for the time being.

The only other question is how long should I keep her in for. Should I go for 3 days and then let her out to see? I am not expecting her to lay an egg. Cochins aren't very productive anyway and it is winter. I do keep a light on in the house if the chickens are in there during the daytime because it's pretty dark, but I only leave it on during natural daylight hours.

The only other question is how long should I keep her in for. Should I go for 3 days and then let her out to see? I am not expecting her to lay an egg. Cochins aren't very productive anyway and it is winter. I do keep a light on in the house if the chickens are in there during the daytime because it's pretty dark, but I only leave it on during natural daylight hours.
The light is fine.
I let them out after 48 hrs, usually an hour before roost time.
If she goes to roost, great, you're done.....if she goes to the nest, back to the crate for another 24 hours.

Ok thanks! BTW, aart, I was thinking about giving her fertile eggs to hatch this time, but while doing research I found your thread about your experience brooding chicks in winter and read through the entire thing. It was a tremendous help. I'm confident I have made the right decision to wait till warmer weather. I have 3 Cochins so I'm sure I will get more opportunities. ;)

I have the crate set up in the chicken house. It will be too difficult to move so she will be in there for the duration. I got the food and water dishes rigged up already- I am just waiting for hubby to help me put a smaller mesh floor in the bottom and a 2x4 board in for a perch. I raised the crate up on some bricks so it will be ventilated underneath.

I took Casey out of the nest while I was rigging up the crate. She went outside for a few minutes then got right back in the nest. She certainly is showing lots of commitment. If she gets this way again in the spring I will definitely rassle up some eggs for her to hatch. It would be so much fun under better conditions.
I'm considering doing the same thing with mine. They're supposed to be some of the best mothers.

LOL chickens are so funny. I put the 2x4 perch in with the wide side up. Just now I caught her plumped down lengthwise on the perch so she had a comfortable 4 inch wide platform all down her middle. She looked quite broody with her feathers all puffed out. I think I have a very smart chicken to figure out how to nest on a 4 inch wide board!

I got my gloves on and nudged her out of the way and switched the perch so the 2 inch wide surface is facing up. This is just the width of the roosting bars that all the chickens sleep on. So now she can't be cheating. ;) She settled right down again on the perch but now she is facing crosswise and looks more like a roosting chicken instead of a brooding chicken.

Last edited:
I'm considering doing the same thing with mine. They're supposed to be some of the best mothers.
I think it will make it worthwhile having Cochins even though they don't lay as many eggs. My kids and grandkids also do like the Cochins best because they are so fluffy.

My grandchildren named my hens after members of the Pittsburgh Penguin hockey team. (The chickens don't mind at all having boys names.)

We had to name the Cochins after the goalies because they look big and buff like goalies and have the feathery leg guards. It's comical that the goalies are likely to be the best mother hens on the whole team!

This evening was the end of Casey's second day in chicken jail. At dusk I released her from the crate and she jumped right up on the roost with the other chickens. I'm so happy. Thanks everyone for all the advice and comments.

Here is Casey in the dog crate. Hopefully she is done with it for this time at least. :)
8D48DADB-B090-4DDD-B627-BA0D3AD17620.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom