BROODY Buff - She's A Young One

DouglasPeeps

Songster
11 Years
Feb 26, 2008
Colorado
I am pretty sure that one of my Buff Orpingtons is broody. She is exhibiting all the sign of broodyness. She hasn't gotten up from the same nesting box, even after I take her egg. She is growling and puffing up. She actually puffs up when I enter the chicken house even before I get close to her. This has been going on for at least 2 days.

My question is that she is just over 6 months old. Does this seem young to go broody? hmmmmm

Your thoughts........

Mine did not go broody til a year old. But it sure sounds like you do have a broody. I personally would not let her hatch so young. I would question if she would be a good mom that young. But I'm no expert, its just an opinion
smile.png

Quote:
I was thinking the same thing. Actually my "plan"
fl.gif
was to have (hehe) at least 1 broody hen in the spring next year. That way my hens would be just over a year and then I would be ready to have them hatch. But.......I forgot to to tell my hens this plan........
I will just keep taking her eggs and keep a watchful eye on her.

This is a reminder to me to keep my hens informed of my plans for them.....
gig.gif

I guess I should try talking to mine more too. Both my buff orpingtons were the first to go broody in very early spring.

Quote:
Oh, no....I have 6 of them. It just might be an interesting spring...

BTW, I just read your signature line, I am cracking up!!!!
lau.gif

One of our "puff orfingtons" went broody THREE times in her first year! A little over-achieving, if you ask me!

I finally realized that feeding excessive fresh corn on the cob (whenever it was on the reject rack at the grocery store), was bringing it on...

feeding excessive fresh corn on the cob .... was bringing it on...

Corn brings on broodiness??? Just fresh or does dried do it as well?​

Quote:
That just happened last night and I thought it was so funny but I had to laugh alone. So I thought I would share it here so I wasn't laughing alone anymore
smile.png

Quote:
That just happened last night and I thought it was so funny but I had to laugh alone. So I thought I would share it here so I wasn't laughing alone anymore
smile.png

Yes, you friends on BYC can totally understand and laugh with you.....and we are..
gig.gif

This broody thing sounds a little intimidating to me. I am really starting to dread it. Mine are only 14 weeks old, and this is my first time raising chickens. I suppose that there is still plenty of time for me to mentally prepare myself for coping with a broody hen. lol But my worst fear, what if they all go broody at the same time?
ep.gif

Back
Top Bottom