Broody But Laying?????

Quote:
How did you break her? I currently have a buff rock that is broody. She has stopped laying and just wants to sit in the nesting box. Only time she will eat/drink is if I take her out and then she eats very little.

I have tried taking her out into another enclosure that is small and has no nesting box only food and water and it didn't work.

Quote:
You say this brrody behaviour stops, how long does that take? I currently have a buff rock that is broody and they are not "supposed to" be broody breeds. I bought them because I don't need a broody!

Broody chickens can stay broody for a long time. Months if they can't follow through with something. If you leave eggs under her she will stop laying after a couple days and just set once that happens you can find just hatched babies (1-2 of them) and exchange them for the eggs. She will raise them for a few weeks and then you can take them if you really need her to start laying again or just let her raise them. she doesn't need to be in a special place or particularly close to the ground. My friend let's her broodys hatch eggs in nest boxes that are three feet off the ground. Mama gets them down when it's time to learn to eat and drink. It is the most cute and satisfying experience to watch a broody raise babies.

How long does she need to be setting before I can exchange the eggs for bought chicks?

Is there are risk of introducing any disease to my flock if I add bought day old chicks?

Quote:
At least a week.

Most day old chicks are vaccinated, so I don't think there is any risk to your flock. Now if you are getting them from a private source (not feedstore), then I'd be careful.

So my other 2 chickens are laying and my broody hogs the favourite nest box. They just go in there with her, smush her over, lay and then leave. Of course, she gets the egg under her and sits. And she is STILL laying.

So I took her off the nest this AM and kicked her out and grabbed an egg. Once she came out of the zombie trance, she was eating and drinking. When I went back in the afternoon to bring treats and freshen water, she was back in the nest. I pulled her off, took the other egg and booted her out again. This time, I closed the door to the coop. They only go in there at night and to lay. When I came home this evening, she was happily running around with everyone else. I'm sure she'll be back in the nest as soon as I open the door at dusk, but I am hoping she will get the picture. Thank goodness she is totally passive with me and the other chickens, other than growling.

I have a GLW who was trying out for the Olympic Broody Team. I found a non traumatic way to stop it, see thread below. Note that it takes about 24 hours to take effect, but it does work and didn't freak her out or anything.

Help please. I have a broody GLW and I want to give her 2 new chicks tonight. I'm going to shut the rest of my hens out of the coop just for tonight so the mama hen can bond with the new chicks alone. But what about after that? Will she protect them from the other hens at night after that? Will she lead them into the coop at night to sleep? I've never done this before and I need advice. Do I HAVE to keep them separated? I don't have much more room. All I know is to sneak in at night and replace her eggs with the chicks. After that I'm clueless. (There's no rooster) help please?

Back
Top Bottom