broody cochin worried about her health

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wallychkn, May 17, 2011.

1. wallychkn

wallychkn Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    North Florida
    I have a very broody cochin hen. Sometimes i have to pick her up and pull her off the nest. She went broody about three weeks ago. I have seen her off the nest a few times and she is eating. Im just worried that she is sitting too much. Im thinking about getting some fertlized eggs and letting her jatch them. Should i be worried about her health?

2. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    For starters -- [​IMG]

I can't imagine it's good for the them to go broody for too long. And I am not sure if eventually they just snap out of it. When mine went broody I got her eggs as soon as I could, so's she wasn't in that state any longer than necessary. While she was broody, I made sure she had a small dish of food and water within reach. The banties are pretty small to begin with and keeping weight on them whilst they are broody can be a challenge. Do you have a source for fertile eggs. I would make this decision sooner rather than later.

Jenny

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  3. Fritatta

Fritatta Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Woodstock, GA
  4. RareBreedFancier

RareBreedFancier Surrounded by Broodies

Nov 5, 2010
    Australia :)
    If she's already been broody for 3 weeks you might want to think about getting her some day old chicks instead of eggs. Just slip them under her at night and she'll adopt them as her own. [​IMG]

5. wallychkn

wallychkn Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    North Florida
    I have a friend with a farm and he gave me some fertilized eggs. I will let her hatch them out and hopefully that will break her. Txs for the help...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by