broody cochin worried about her health

wallychkn

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 17, 2011
North Florida
I have a very broody cochin hen. Sometimes i have to pick her up and pull her off the nest. She went broody about three weeks ago. I have seen her off the nest a few times and she is eating. Im just worried that she is sitting too much. Im thinking about getting some fertlized eggs and letting her jatch them. Should i be worried about her health?

For starters --
welcome-byc.gif

I can't imagine it's good for the them to go broody for too long. And I am not sure if eventually they just snap out of it. When mine went broody I got her eggs as soon as I could, so's she wasn't in that state any longer than necessary. While she was broody, I made sure she had a small dish of food and water within reach. The banties are pretty small to begin with and keeping weight on them whilst they are broody can be a challenge. Do you have a source for fertile eggs. I would make this decision sooner rather than later.

Jenny

Last edited:
If she's already been broody for 3 weeks you might want to think about getting her some day old chicks instead of eggs. Just slip them under her at night and she'll adopt them as her own.
smile.png

I have a friend with a farm and he gave me some fertilized eggs. I will let her hatch them out and hopefully that will break her. Txs for the help...

Back
Top Bottom