Broody Coturnix hen(s)

Hi :frow I am really glad you started this thread, DH and I were just talking about expanding into quail. We already have chickens, were discussing how frequently quail go broody and what we would need to get started. I don't have a bator and have always hatched using a broody. I wish to continue with broodies. I am sorry I can't be much help to you, as I am just starting to amass info, but if you don't mind I have a question or two.
Are your male quails very loud? Do they crow like a rooster? Or is it a different sound? I am hoping to keep from having to buy hatching quail eggs to keep my flock going. But do not want the neighbors to complain. Thanks and good luck with your hatch, let us know in a few days how it goes. :lol:
Here's what a crowing coturnix sounds like.

They're definitely quieter than chickens. That's a lot of why I chose quail over chickens. I live in a suburb with neighbours all around. The only time I get a lot of noise out of my birds is when I have too many boys.

They are very unlikely to go broody, so you should have an incubator.

What about breeding broodiness back into Coturnix? Would this be possible?

I've bought quails from a breeder who has been breeding broodiness back in her quails for about six years. I think it can be done. As long as people keep incubating their eggs though, broodiness is further bred out. This is why I encourage my birds to incubate and raise their own young.

Whoa, that's cool. What other kinds of behaviors do her males show? Do her females raise the little ones alone? What part about incubating eggs makes quail less likely to go broody? The artificial rearing or that the hens don't have a chance to sit on their eggs?

Yes, her females raise the chicks on their own. I am yet to do studies to prove this, but quails seem to be more likely to go broody or be better parents if they were raised by their own parents. I think the key to broodiness and good parenting is well bonded parents. I have noticed that all my broody quails have been well bonded with their mate. I actually prefer keeping my quails in pairs, because this also seems to encourage broodiness and other natural behaviours.

Male quail will crow when upset or overwhelmed. They don't crow like a cock, but more of a "Whhat'eh'ell!!!" Sound.

Note broody coturnix are still incredibly rare. They're so bred out of it and domesticated the instinct is hardly ever shown
well the good news is my neighbors will think it's just me yelling, "Whhat'eh'ell!!!" :lau

If your gal starts hatching eggs, I would take her, the nest and chicks and put them in a seperate space. I've heard the males can be either amazing or horrible towards chicks
Females too. Regardless, keep an eye on them. Some of my birds were hatched by a broody hen, then rescued after she started to kill them. Another set I know of was abandoned after a few hours.

Whoa, that's cool. What other kinds of behaviors do her males show? Do her females raise the little ones alone? What part about incubating eggs makes quail less likely to go broody? The artificial rearing or that the hens don't have a chance to sit on their eggs?

Yes, her females raise the chicks on their own. I am yet to do studies to prove this, but quails seem to be more likely to go broody or be better parents if they were raised by their own parents. I think the key to broodiness and good parenting is well bonded parents. I have noticed that all my broody quails have been well bonded with their mate. I actually prefer keeping my quails in pairs, because this also seems to encourage broodiness and other natural behaviours.
Do you keep your pairs in their own pens or keep them in a big community setting? How do you deal with aggressive males?

Back
Top Bottom