broody duck on infertile eggs

shannong139

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 25, 2014
Portage, Indiana
My eight month old rouen is sitting on infertile eggs, six real three wooden. She's the only duck I have and an inside duck so they're definitely infertile. She was overnight at a vet's office with a drake about a month ago, the eggs are around two weeks old so I candled them just in case and a few look very watery inside - I'm assuming from the heat of her sitting on them. I've read about "bomb eggs" in incubators and don't want them to explode under her. She's been broody for three days. I want to replace the real eggs with more wooden ones but not sure if she'll still sit on them as she is... Getting fertile eggs is not an option as she is an inside duck and although I don't want her to be lonely, I cannot currently care for more.

Any help is appreciated!

When I let my ducks sit on infertile eggs, I do a sniff test on them every day or two - they begin to give off an odor when they start to go. Then I replace the ones starting to deteriorate with a fresh dud egg. They have not stopped sitting when I do that.

Back
Top Bottom