Broody duck question

happy duck

Crazy duck mom
Mar 24, 2018
Small town
My Coop
My Coop
So I don't have a broody duck but am trying to plan and get ready for one(just in case). I have several questions that I am sure will get answered.

1. If my duck decides to brood is it ok to keep her in the coop with the other ducks? I know some other females will try to take over and when eggs are hatching drakes or other ducks will try to hurt them. If I leave her be I can move her when the ducklings start to hatch and she would have access to swim. If I move her...I know that I will probably not get good success. What should I do here...

2. Second is are buff ducks one to go broody. I read that if they are kept in clean environments and feel safe they might brood. Would love to see if some of yalls buffs went broody.

3 This is a kinda weird Q but I just wanted to see what you guys would say. So Some of the eggs that I get are smaller and some are bigger. If they brood will the small eggs be smaller ducklings and the bigger eggs be bigger ducklings? Also if that is the case...would I be able to tell what breed mine they are(say if it was a pekin dad it would be bigger)? That was probably kinda an odd Q but just wanted to see what some of yall say.

4. Will my ducks lay on other females eggs? I have 6 eggs in the coop now(don't seem interested...yet) and each female laid 2 of those eggs. Will they still lay on eggs that aren't theirs?

Ok that was enough Q's..for now. I feel like I had another but forgot it. I will let you know if I think of it. Thanks a lot!

Hi there! While I can't answer all of your questions, I can do my best on the last 2.

Since the females are the ones laying the eggs, the type of male fertilizing the egg will make no difference on the size of the egg. Do you only have buff females, or do you have other breeds of females as well? I would imagine a pekin egg would be larger than a buff egg. I have Welsh Harlequins and Indian Runners, and the runner eggs are much smaller than the harlequins.

If you do end up with a broody female duck (a bit of a white whale in the domestic duck world, muscovies excluded), then you should be able to add whatever eggs you have access to. If she is laying on the eggs she should be willing to accept additions to the clutch within reason.

I hope this helps, and I hope someone else out there has more experience with broody ducks.

I have pekins therefore have not ever seen a broody duck because pekins are very non-broody, but yes I agree with @Tannerpauldean with the answers they said.

Buffs do sometimes go broody as I’ve heard but I’ve never had buffs so I’m not quite sure about that one.

I don’t think it’s okay for her to be in with the other ducks. If you do notice broodiness put her in a completely different cage with food and water for her self, add some hay and stuff she might like for her nest. If she stays with the other females all the other ducks will eat and drink and leave her out of the food and water therefore she will starve etc, at least what I’ve heard.

Hi there! While I can't answer all of your questions, I can do my best on the last 2.

Since the females are the ones laying the eggs, the type of male fertilizing the egg will make no difference on the size of the egg. Do you only have buff females, or do you have other breeds of females as well? I would imagine a pekin egg would be larger than a buff egg. I have Welsh Harlequins and Indian Runners, and the runner eggs are much smaller than the harlequins.

If you do end up with a broody female duck (a bit of a white whale in the domestic duck world, muscovies excluded), then you should be able to add whatever eggs you have access to. If she is laying on the eggs she should be willing to accept additions to the clutch within reason.

I hope this helps, and I hope someone else out there has more experience with broody ducks.
You helped lots! As for what ducks I have....I have 1 male pekin and 3 buff females. I was mainly asking about the size of egg ect because I am going to be adding some more ducks to the flock. Sounds good with the adding eggs. Right now there are 9 eggs in the coop and I am hoping they will brood but if not that will be totally fine. Thanks!

I have pekins therefore have not ever seen a broody duck because pekins are very non-broody, but yes I agree with @Tannerpauldean with the answers they said.

Buffs do sometimes go broody as I’ve heard but I’ve never had buffs so I’m not quite sure about that one.

I don’t think it’s okay for her to be in with the other ducks. If you do notice broodiness put her in a completely different cage with food and water for her self, add some hay and stuff she might like for her nest. If she stays with the other females all the other ducks will eat and drink and leave her out of the food and water therefore she will starve etc, at least what I’ve heard.

Ok I will(if one of them broods) to separate her. I have heard that when you move a broody and her nest she will usually just decided not to sit. Thanks for the info! Lots of help!

Back
Top Bottom