Broody Golden Comet

The cheek coop

Crowing
Jun 20, 2023
London Ky
Our golden comet, Lucy has went broody. As far as the brooding goes I’ve got her out of the nest and put her on the roost. While I was gathering eggs this evening I noticed her egg was very light almost pink. Is the egg color change normal?

Attachments

• IMG_0686.jpeg
    IMG_0686.jpeg
    515.3 KB · Views: 37
Our golden comet, Lucy has went broody. As far as the brooding goes I’ve got her out of the nest and put her on the roost. While I was gathering eggs this evening I noticed her egg was very light almost pink. Is the egg color change normal?
I believe egg color generally stays the same, but when a hen become broody, their diet changes drastically. Some say that can affect the egg color, but the egg color chickens lay is in their genetics, so a diet change, I guess I could see having an effect.

The other thing, though, is if she's broody, she wouldn't be laying eggs, so was she perhaps just getting done being broody maybe?

I believe egg color generally stays the same, but when a hen become broody, their diet changes drastically. Some say that can affect the egg color, but the egg color chickens lay is in their genetics, so a diet change, I guess I could see having an effect.

The other thing, though, is if she's broody, she wouldn't be laying eggs, so was she perhaps just getting done being broody maybe?
Maybe she just started being broody

Going broody does not seem to change the color of the egg, but eggs from the same hen can be a bit lighter or darker from one day to another. So this might just be one of those changes, and not have anything to do with her going broody.

Broody chickens usually stop laying eggs, but in my experience they usually start acting broody before they stop laying, so there can be a few days when she is acting broody but still laying.

It is common for other hens to lay their eggs in the same nestbox with the broody hen, so that egg might not be hers. (Sometimes it is easy to tell, like if you have very few hens and every one of them laid an egg that day. Other times it is not so easy.)

IMG_0692.jpeg

It is hard to tell in this picture but the egg on top is much lighter than the one on the bottom.
Going broody does not seem to change the color of the egg, but eggs from the same hen can be a bit lighter or darker from one day to another. So this might just be one of those changes, and not have anything to do with her going broody.

Broody chickens usually stop laying eggs, but in my experience they usually start acting broody before they stop laying, so there can be a few days when she is acting broody but still laying.

It is common for other hens to lay their eggs in the same nestbox with the broody hen, so that egg might not be hers. (Sometimes it is easy to tell, like if you have very few hens and every one of them laid an egg that day. Other times it is not so easy.)
We have 2 Americanas 1 white leghorn 1 cream leg bar and 1 golden comet. The golden comet is the only brown egg layer.
IMG_0693.jpeg

So Miss Lucy is acting fine today she hasn’t been in the nesting box all day. Last night when I got home from work I went out to check eggs and found her in the nesting boxes and as soon as I opened the door she puffed up and started making noise. From everything I’ve seen that is signs of broody behavior.

Attachments

• IMG_0693.jpeg
    IMG_0693.jpeg
    387.7 KB · Views: 2
View attachment 3643258
It is hard to tell in this picture but the egg on top is much lighter than the one on the bottom.

We have 2 Americanas 1 white leghorn 1 cream leg bar and 1 golden comet. The golden comet is the only brown egg layer.
Since she is the only brown egg layer, then I see how you are sure it is her egg!
I would say that is within the normal range of variation, but I don't know whether starting to go broody can affect the color or not.

View attachment 3643260

So Miss Lucy is acting fine today she hasn’t been in the nesting box all day. Last night when I got home from work I went out to check eggs and found her in the nesting boxes and as soon as I opened the door she puffed up and started making noise. From everything I’ve seen that is signs of broody behavior.
That does sound like broody behavior. Some hens spend a few days acting broody part of the time and normal at other times, as if they are trying to make up their minds (or more likely, their hormones are fluctuating and haven't settled down to being one way or the other.) Hens like that will sometimes be fully broody in a few days, while some others go back to normal without being completely broody. I suppose you will know in a few days what she does :)

Back
Top Bottom