Broody has broken egg open and chick inside is breathing

Pics
Everyone does things differently.
Yes. A chick has absorbed yolk that they can rely on for about 3 days, but this chick is under a heat lamp and moving about.
The faster you get her drinking and eating, the better imho. As soon as mine hatch and are dry, they are in the brooder eating/drinking. That may be within just a few hours of hatch or could be up to 24 hours.

Anyway. Chicks tilting the head back to drink can be common in the first few days.
I would still get vitamins into her. Dip a qtip in the vitamin water, then press a drop onto her beak, let her take it in.

You aren't out of the woods yet, but it's hopeful.
Okay so she seemed to be up all night (need to get a ceramic lamp bulb today so it’s dark for her at night I’m guessing) so she I sleeping this morning but she was up for a bit, walking drunk but definitely standing and walking pretty well on her legs. Don’t think I’ll have problems there. I did pick her up and dip her beak in the water and she seemed less shocked about having to swallow. I then put her down and with her eyes closed and stumbling about she did it 2 maybe 3 more times by herself, dipped her beak and swallowed. Don’t know how much water she got but I have hope she now knows what to do. I’ve seen her pecking at her food too but don’t know if she actually eats it. She is pooping though so I guess that’s positive.
Her feathers look better this morning than last night. They are pretty crazy and not very neat so she’s not the same as normal chicks but I’m hoping it’s just a hairstyle and that she can overcome any other preemie health things with time and nurturing. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Okay so she seemed to be up all night (need to get a ceramic lamp bulb today so it’s dark for her at night I’m guessing) so she I sleeping this morning but she was up for a bit, walking drunk but definitely standing and walking pretty well on her legs. Don’t think I’ll have problems there. I did pick her up and dip her beak in the water and she seemed less shocked about having to swallow. I then put her down and with her eyes closed and stumbling about she did it 2 maybe 3 more times by herself, dipped her beak and swallowed. Don’t know how much water she got but I have hope she now knows what to do. I’ve seen her pecking at her food too but don’t know if she actually eats it. She is pooping though so I guess that’s positive.
Her feathers look better this morning than last night. They are pretty crazy and not very neat so she’s not the same as normal chicks but I’m hoping it’s just a hairstyle and that she can overcome any other preemie health things with time and nurturing. 🤷🏼‍♀️
This is great news! I'm so glad she eating and drinking by herself! Its still no quite 24 hours, so I wouldn't worry about the balance issues quite yet. Birdie, a chick of mine who hatched 2 days early has similar issues. Hard time blanching, but she had curled toes so definitely some incubation issues there. She had a hard time preening, but similar balance issues as your Hope for the first 24 hours. Seemed to do much better when I was able to get her some friends. She was a single hatchling.
Sadly, the new brooder plate I was using failed, and Birdie didn't make it.
The point is, Birdie's balance and mobility got better for the course of a few days. She also took forever to dry. I had to hold her under the heat lamp and "preen" her to get her to dry out.
I hope your Hope continues to improve, it sounds like your both on the right track, and your doing an amazing job! This is truly a miracle baby.

Sounds like progress.

I have a Titan chick brooder, and my chicks all love it, even those my hens raise use it to warm up when out and about.

It's safer than heat lamps and I think use less energy.

Sounds like she's making progress!
I would just keep at it and see how it goes.
The wobbling is still concerning to me, I would try to get some poultry vitamins into her that contain E, B2 (Riboflavin) and B1 (Thiamine).

So an update for anyone following along, Hope is a different chicken the last two hours. She is super alert, eyes open, finding her balance, preening, I have been playing a game with her with the eye dropper of water where I hold it infront of her and let the water drop hang and as it falls she catches it in her mouth. I’m doing it over her foot so if it drops she then follows down after it and had a little explore of her food. She is chatting with the chicks in the other brooder and since it’s now dark her she started crying out when I left the room with my flashlight but now that I’m back in she’s happy and wants to play again. She was even having a little explore of her box, picking up shavings and flicking them around and pecking at a little mark that is on one side of the box.
Her feathers are continuing to fluff up more, they are a bit sparse and sit all crazy. I am really hopeful for her tonight. I’m just hoping she doesn’t have any genetic/internal stuff that I don’t know about.
She is 100% better today that she was yesterday and 200% better than hatch day. So hopefully tomorrow she continues to thrive!
Thank you all so much for your support. X
Will continue to update until hopefully it gets boring!

So an update for anyone following along, Hope is a different chicken the last two hours. She is super alert, eyes open, finding her balance, preening, I have been playing a game with her with the eye dropper of water where I hold it infront of her and let the water drop hang and as it falls she catches it in her mouth. I’m doing it over her foot so if it drops she then follows down after it and had a little explore of her food. She is chatting with the chicks in the other brooder and since it’s now dark her she started crying out when I left the room with my flashlight but now that I’m back in she’s happy and wants to play again. She was even having a little explore of her box, picking up shavings and flicking them around and pecking at a little mark that is on one side of the box.
Her feathers are continuing to fluff up more, they are a bit sparse and sit all crazy. I am really hopeful for her tonight. I’m just hoping she doesn’t have any genetic/internal stuff that I don’t know about.
She is 100% better today that she was yesterday and 200% better than hatch day. So hopefully tomorrow she continues to thrive!
Thank you all so much for your support. X
Will continue to update until hopefully it gets boring!
Chicks never get boring 🤗

So happy she is doing well, will put her in with the other chicks?

The chick has survived this long, while I'm not positive, I think she'll/he'll be fine. I get the whole nature law thing, but like you, even when the odds aren't good, I have to try. Generally chicks will attempt walking shortly after hatching and drying. But I've had chicks that had to work so hard to get out of their shell that they were exausted upon getting out. Your little one has worked so hard to survive, I'd just keep him/her warm, and once she/he is able to stand I'd probably offer it some water in a really shallow dish. Fingers crossed, hoping for the best. Please keep us up to date on her/his progress.

Back
Top Bottom