Broody hatch-a-long!!! With Pippin!

Pics
I'm going to buy chick crumb sometime next week and I started to wonder how to keep chicks from eating adult food. So I thought about making the adult feeder much taller so only adults can reach, then having a little feeder on the ground. Is this a good idea?

how can both chicks and adults eat the correct feed if they are together?
I give everyone of all ages an all-flock feed. I’ve been doing this for 5 yrs. I use Purina Flock Raiser crumbles, it’s 20% protein. I offer oyster shell on the side.

I give everyone of all ages an all-flock feed. I’ve been doing this for 5 yrs. I use Purina Flock Raiser crumbles, it’s 20% protein. I offer oyster shell on the side.
Do you know if poultry gold an all flock feed? When I go buy the chick feed tommorow I can check if there is any "all-flock feed"

Do you know if poultry gold an all flock feed? When I go buy the chick feed tommorow I can check if there is any "all-flock feed"
I haven’t heard of Poultry Gold feeds. The hens could be fed chick feed if it’s not medicated, that would be another option....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Today is Day 21 for my broody Violetta! However I started the eggs in the evening of day zero.

I haven’t heard of Poultry Gold feeds. The hens could be fed chick feed if it’s not medicated, that would be another option....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Today is Day 21 for my broody Violetta! However I started the eggs in the evening of day zero.
Yayyy! I started my eggs in the evening too. No wonder they say patience is a virtue, it’s hard not to count down the minutes leading up to the supposed hatch time 😱

here’s my own update... I thought one egg had quit yesterday, but I see movement this morning. so happy ☺️

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I raised the feeder so its tall enough for adults but not chicks. This is Poultry Gold
···········································································
It must be so exciting! I hope Violetta gets plenty of fluffy babies!

I saw one fluffy chick so far 🐣!! Went out to take a pic and it was hiding again.
Such camera shy! Does Violetta let you touch her? I’m wondering whether my broody will let me play with her babies when they hatch. I want to be able to raise tame chicks this time around. She doesn’t attack me right now, but she did have a go at the cat when he came too close. And that’s something that never happened before!

Such camera shy! Does Violetta let you touch her? I’m wondering whether my broody will let me play with her babies when they hatch. I want to be able to raise tame chicks this time around. She doesn’t attack me right now, but she did have a go at the cat when he came too close. And that’s something that never happened before!
I'm hoping Pippin would let me at least hand-feed her babies.
As long as they hatch I don't care I just want her to be a mom and have babies so badly!

Violetta isn’t particularly tame herself, so I’m not going to reach under her, but definitely will try to interact with the baby(s) in the days ahead. Right now fingers crossed that she will be a good mama. So far so good.
I have 10 adult chickens, and 3 are very tame, the rest like me and will come up to me, but wouldn’t jump in my lap and they will avoid being touched. Violetta is in the 2nd group. Her mom, Moonshine, now broody on day 2, would be in the first group.

Back
Top Bottom