Broody hatch-a-long!!! With Pippin!

Pics
How can she sit on all those eggs?! Pippin struggled to sit on 6 tiny POLISH BANTAM eggs! It's much easier for her now sitting on just 4
She a LF Rhode Island Red. She could have more but as a first timer, I wanted to make it a little easier. Her sister, another RIR, had swiped and was trying to sit on about 19. I pulled all but the 5 olive eggers.

I'm going to buy chick crumb sometime next week and I started to wonder how to keep chicks from eating adult food. So I thought about making the adult feeder much taller so only adults can reach, then having a little feeder on the ground. Is this a good idea?

how can both chicks and adults eat the correct feed if they are together?

I love layer pellets, they are what I feed when I’m not giving them fermented food. the chicks cant eat them since they are too large. If the big birds eat the chick feed, you can always have oyster shell on the side.

I just weighed Satin
She’s 1lb 13oz 😱

Attachments

• 1C749DCD-8157-470D-8A69-B98D6A3E3BD4.jpeg
    1C749DCD-8157-470D-8A69-B98D6A3E3BD4.jpeg
    671.6 KB · Views: 6
That's what I did, put chick feed on bottom and raised the pellets. Under my broody, she had 5 eggs. ALL started developing. 1 got cracked, 2 disappeared, 1 died around Day 18, 1 hatched. The lone chick we named Uno. We made the mistake of

a. Having 3 broodies in 1 coop. The broody virus spread.
b. Not separating her.

So Uno got out from under Mom on his second day in life and got pecked on the head. He was weak when we brought him in. He would not eat, and the only way to get water down him was out of a spoon. He ended up dying.

Broody 2 was off her nest more often than the other 2, so we put her 2 eggs under broody 3. Candled, both developing. Found the shell of one in the bottom, the other disappeared. We had a bad experience that I wish I could do over again.

Now I have an incubator and I just finished hatching in it. We had 7 eggs in it, 2 were infertile, 1 made it to about day 14 which was the last time I saw movement. 1 died about day 20, had already started absorbing yolk. 3 hatched and are 1 week old now.

They are all thriving. I also picked up 2 assorted bantams at Tractor Supply. I believe I have a Golden Laced Sebright and a BB Red Old English Game Bantam. Here is their thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...sebright-and-old-english-game-bantam.1471564/

Thank you for reading! I didnt mean to make this post so long!

Back
Top Bottom