BROODY HELP !!!!!!!!

chookhead

Songster
8 Years
Sep 7, 2011
hey everyone i need help moving a broody when and how should i do it because this chicken is only 7 months and hates my guts she runs away if i look at her. what should i do i need to move her without breaking her so does anyone have any suggestions to make her break her broodyness.

You won't know if moving her will break her until you try it. I've moved some successfully, and some not so successfully. (they went back to their preferred sitting spot) Even my most skittish hens will not budge on the nest while broody. Some you really have to watch your fingers with though.

For my flock, it works best to let them sit on the eggs wherever they choose to go broody. I mark the eggs and once the babies hatch, then I move the hen and the babies to a secure area. I leave them to get used to mama hen, eating and drinking (about a week) and then let them out with the flock. I haven't had any issues doing it this way.

thanks for the info but i think i have another problem she isnt warming the eggs to the right temperature i feel that they are a bit too cool. they arent as warm as previous hatches with different hens is this all in my head is is possible and if so how can i fix it before its too late and to the person who replied with nothing profitable you know what i am trying to say so get over your self

I wasn't understanding you either. Couldn't tell if you wanted her brooding or not---your post was very contradictory. Though, after that last not so sweet post to devora, I do understand you.

As for moving her, I think it's best to let her be til she hatches the chicks, then move. It's easy to weird them out and they may go all wonky. She could go back to her old spot or stop sitting all together.

And as for the temp, if you think she isn't brooding well, pull the eggs to incubate. If you don't have a bator, move the eggs to another broody hen. And if you don't have another broody, you will just have to let her sit and see what happens.

Are you sure she's broody? Is she on the nest most of the day and all night? Puff up and growl at you? Plucked her belly feathers? (not all broodies do this)

ok question i think i got a broody hen how do i know for sure that shes broody she has been in the nesting box since this morning and has not moved i left all the eggs under her cause they are fertilized i think anyways but how do you know if she is for sure she is a barred rock

My hallmark for declaring a hen broody is staying on the eggs all night for 2 nights in a row. My hens seem to "warm up" to being broody, they set on the eggs most of the day but take the nights off for a few days. I wait until they're firmly set, day and night, then put the eggs I want them to hatch under them.

mmmm ok she was not nasty but she moved away so maybe a was just paranoid i actually want a hen to go broody see what happens cause i know most of my eggs are fertilized

Back
Top Bottom