Broody hen, actually pullet???

Can you place her with the cage in a location she does not recognize?
Yeah, I have had the best luck breaking them by placing the broody breaker somewhere that they cannot see the coop. The brighter the better. Another rule of thumb I have found to be fairly accurate is it takes about as many days in the broody breaker as they have been broody so the sooner you catch it the better

completely confused! Mayflower has all the symptoms of Being broody. Puffy, had not been wanting to leave nest boxes. Laid down like a pancake, Growls...Even did this when she evaded and outsmarted me earlier today when She was out for a leg stretch.

she had not laid an egg for 2 days...

and then she laid an egg in the crate this afternoon. So confused. I let her out of broody jail and she is acting fine for now.

Could she still possibly be broody Even though she laid an egg. Was she just having problems laying?
I’ve been watching broody videos and they were exactly like her. So confused. :idunno:idunno:idunnoHelp please! @aart

thank you all so much for your help so far. Really is the best community!

and then she laid an egg in the crate this afternoon. So confused. I let her out of broody jail and she is acting fine for now.

Could she still possibly be broody Even though she laid an egg. Was she just having problems laying?
I’ve been watching broody videos and they were exactly like her. So confused. :idunno:idunno:idunnoHelp please!

Sometimes if you catch a broody very early on when they're still thinking about brooding they still have eggs in their system and yes I've had broodies pop out an egg or two in the broody breaker. Some folks like waiting until they actually show commitment to setting and then breaking, but I just put them in the breaker as soon as they show signs of it, just to get it over with.

Back
Top Bottom