Broody hen - am I handling this right?

Tough love has always been difficult for me. Definitely something I need to work on. :) How do you like your eggs? I'm running out of recipes/ideas.
Any way I can get them lol! :drool Made a couple dozen deviled eggs for a family reunion this weekend and everyone loved them. My personal favorite is beet pickled eggs from an old Pennsylvania Dutch recipe I have. I could eat them all day. Your favorite?

I gave mine a cool bath yesterday afternoon for as long as she and my creaky knees would stand it. Was probably close to ten minutes. Then I let her free range by herself until time to let everybody else out, probably a couple of hours, so she couldn't get back to her nest. I have been gone all day and will soon be home to check on her. Fingers crossed, but if she is back on the nest she will get another cool bath and go into a wire dog crate at bed time. In the coop, of course.
Best of luck!

I hate caging animals in small areas, so I haven't had the heart to cage my broodies. I have 4 broody right now and only 1 laying. It's okay because I'm kind of sick of eating eggs right now. :p

I hate caging animals in small areas, so I haven't had the heart to cage my broodies. I have 4 broody right now and only 1 laying. It's okay because I'm kind of sick of eating eggs right now. :p
I can understand that for sure. But it's not bothering me too much to put her in a cage for awhile because she wasn't doing very well spending all her time in the nesting box. The air circulation isn't quite as good there (my nesting boxes are cozy) and it's been waaaaay hot lately, and she didn't seem to want to leave the nest to eat or drink much. She was losing weight and her comb was getting a little droopy. I think, ultimately, she'll be better off after she's broken. Plus - I like my eggs! :)

I can understand that for sure. But it's not bothering me too much to put her in a cage for awhile because she wasn't doing very well spending all her time in the nesting box. The air circulation isn't quite as good there (my nesting boxes are cozy) and it's been waaaaay hot lately, and she didn't seem to want to leave the nest to eat or drink much. She was losing weight and her comb was getting a little droopy. I think, ultimately, she'll be better off after she's broken. Plus - I like my eggs! :)

Tough love has always been difficult for me. Definitely something I need to work on. :) How do you like your eggs? I'm running out of recipes/ideas.

Back
Top Bottom