~Broody Hen Contest!~ Results on first Page

I have already entered one of my hens but I wanna enter another. This is pretty gurl her 1st time ever being broody Pretty gurl is 10 months old and one of my fav hens. She is a black silkie...She was always so sweet but has been very protective since she gone broody her chicks hatched on April the 14th She has been an awesome momma. Out of 7 eggs 5 hatched 3 black and 2 little white ones.

Here is pretty gurl and her chickie peeking out.
(she has a dirty face from enjoying her strawberry soup i make for her)
SDC12422.jpg

I bought some silkies as brooders for my wife in hopes she might start to get into it as much as me, I was hoping that they would go broody and my DW could monitor and care for her until the little wonders arrive. 2 mo after I got then one went broody and as expected my DW is all agush with the fever, I know I am an evil evil man, But I did make another convert LOL.

here is my as of yet unnamed silkie Hen sitting on a clutch of 6 eggs.

AL

10364_img_0205.jpg

6809_chicks_april_18_025.jpg

Standard Cochin pullet with 8 Mille Fleur d'Uccle adopted chicks

6809_chicks_april_18_005.jpg

Standard Cochin pullet with 4 Cochins chicks and 3 Silkie chicks (so far)

6809_chicks_april_18_012.jpg

Buff Orpington hen with 8 Buff chicks, 1 week old

6809_chicks_april_18_008.jpg

Buff Orpington hen with 9 Buff chicks, 1 day old
(Yes, that is our rooster helping feed the chicks!)

Loving all the pics so far
love.gif

Here's my entry:

Keesha is a hatchery Cuckoo Maran. We got her and her "sister" Lorraine with our first ever batch of hens (11 cause they were "buy 10 get one free"
clap.gif
) last June. She's our first broody and I couldn't resist hunting down some fertile eggs for her. I didn't want to jinx anything by preparing for babies, so when the first hatched, I had to run to the feed store to get supplies. Wouldn't you know they'd just gotten a new batch of babies in that morning and, since I was really hoping to add a couple more EE's to the flock. (LOVE those green eggs) I picked out 3 in hopes she'd welcome them as their own. I'd read somewhere that you should wait until night to try to sneak babies in, but I have no patience, so I just put one in to see how she'd react. As you can see from the pic, she wasted no time tucking them right under her.
We were overjoyed
wee.gif

19719_keeshaadopting.jpg

I took this pic shortly after. It's as if adopted hatchery baby is saying "I knew I had a mother" (my kid's favorite quote from "Are you my Mother").

Quote:
Oh my goodness that is SO sweet!!! Hmm... the ideas that are just spinning around in my head. Hmmmmmmmmmmm maybe I might need to try this with my banty hen - the next swap is right about the time she's due to hatch her current eggs.
jumpy.gif

OK, finally I have my pictures! The are not very good, I am borrowing a camera form my MIL until we can get a new one.

This is Molly, she is a standard cochin. She is right at one year old. Here she is with the babies, about two days old. The white one is adopted, and she is a bit older. There are nine of them.

23023_036_web.jpg

23023_034_web.jpg

And here they are now. They are about two weeks old now. She lost one, but still has eight.

23023_100_1858_web.jpg

I am HOPING
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
that she will go back to sitting when these are older, and do it again. She did such a good job for a first timer!

Back
Top Bottom