Broody hen covered in fire ants-eye swollen shut-need advice quick!

skya328

Songster
11 Years
Nov 10, 2008
Dallas, TX
Our broody hen has been sitting on her eggs since about Sept 1. She made a nest in some tall grass. We covered her with a cage to protect her. Today we mowed the grass near her so we could turn the cage around her. When I crawled in the cage to check on her, I noticed that she was covered with fire ants. Her left eye is completely swollen shut and she has bites all over her head.

We decided to move her and the eggs into the tractor. I picked her up and my husband moved the eggs into a rubbermaid bin with some hay in it. We put her in the coop part of the tractor and set her on her eggs.

I ned some advice on what to look for and what to do with her. I checked on her an hour after we put her in there and she wasn't sitting on the eggs, so I put her back on them. I'm afraid that if she stops sitting on them we will lose any potential babies. Also, I'm nervous that the amount of ant bites could harm the hen.

This is her first go at sitting on eggs....and ours too. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Edited to add pics

This is the left eye - swollen shut
lefteye.jpg

Right eye
righteye.jpg

Top of head (Sorry...not a great pic)
topofhead.jpg

Also....I just checked on her and she is sitting on the eggs.
smile.png

Last edited:
I'm not sure that this would help but maybe make a poultice of oatmeat and spread that on the bites. That's what I do when I get bites so I don't see why it can't help a chicken...

If she is ok at this point, the ant bites should gradually clear up. If she has been sitting for a while, see if she will drink a bit of water, you may have to place it next to her. It actually is good for her to get up for a bit and then reset the eggs.

Last edited:
You've done all the right things by getting her moved. If you think she is in pain...which she probably is...you can dissolve 1 aspirin (not tylenol) in 8 oz. of water and put that in her waterer for a day or so. I've used that forumula many times and never had any problems...even for younger chicks.

It's difficult to help but not so much that she gets up off the eggs. I think the idea of an oatmeal poultice is a good one.

Put the oatmeal in a blender or food processor (dry) and grind it to a powder. Then add cool water to make a paste and put some on her head.

Feed her some special treats...chopped boiled egg, yogurt, tuna fish. It might not help the bites, but she'll appreciate the extra lovin'
big_smile.png

Good luck and keep us posted on how she does. I'll try to find out if you can give her some benadryl and will post again if I find anything.

Poor girl hope she pulls through and gets the job done. I think some humans could take a lesson from these hens.

The will take care of their responsabilities come heck or high water.

Hugs for her

Good news and bad news. Good news is that Mama is doing great! She is all healed up, and never got off those eggs. The bad news is that none of her eggs hatched. I think she just had way to many to sit on and couldn't keep them all warm. Several of them ended up exploding, which is one of the worst things I've ever smelled.
sickbyc.gif

I do have more good news... I put up another post https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=246771
about the smell, and what to do about the eggs, etc. Someone suggested getting day olds to put in with her, so I did just that last night!

Here are the first two pics. The first is on the way home and the second is Mama on the babies. There were no issues whatsoever introducing them to her. Whew!
ya.gif

Babies.jpg

mamaonnest.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom