Broody hen - day 1?

stacey8619

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 10, 2014
I have a buff orpington who has decided to go broody. Yesterday was the first day I've noticed that she has stayed in the nest box all day. She only had one egg. I marked and added 3 more. If she's going to spend 3 weeks sitting, I'd prefer she sit on a few more. The one egg she had was up in front of her, peeking out from under her breast feathers. Will she lay more before she starts to incubate them or is her first full day of sitting considered day 1 of the 21 days? Would it be safe to add a few more today? How many could I expect her to realistically hatch? She is pretty young, maybe 8 or 9 months old at the most. Thanks for any input!

Her first full day of sitting is day 1. She won't lay any more if she's truly broody.
I usually break first time broodies though I've had some do a good job.
Is she the only hen laying fertile eggs?
Pre storage incubation isn't a bad thing so if it has only been a day, you can remove the eggs under her, give her something else to sit on till you accumulate enough eggs and then put them all back under her at the same time.
You really want to avoid a staggered hatch with a broody.

We have 10 hens and one rooster together. I assume the other eggs are fertile. The ones I added yesterday were laid yesterday by the other hens. It'll be this evening before I get home and can check on her - close to 24 hours since adding those eggs. If I were going to remove them, do I need to keep them at a certain temperature until giving them back to her?

Back
Top Bottom