Broody hen in February (in Michigan!)

gretamae

Chirping
9 Years
Jan 19, 2011
Ann Arbor
I've been reading through some older posts on broody hens in the winter, but I'm wondering if anyone has any input on my specific situation.

I have an orpington hen who has successfully raised two previous batches of chicks for me (good mama!) and she has started hoarding eggs and pecking at me again. We've had a VERY mild winter this year, but it's not over yet, so I'm worried she won't be able to keep her chicks warm enough through March.

I have a separate coop that I had built just for broodies, and later for the chicks to live in until they are big enough to hang with the grown ups. It is not insulated or heated.

So, what does everyone think? Should I go for it?

Thanks in advance!

Greta

Hi Greta

I am in a similar situation. Last weekend, I did remove a broody hen from the other 4 hens and set her up in a pen in our greenhouse. I did this because she was causing a ruckus with the other hens; she was kicking straw and eggs out of the shared nest and breaking eggs. She is one cranky broody! She was very broody a month earlier, but there was no rooster with them at that time, but I introduced a rooster for a couple of weeks then removed him.

Anyway, she is sitting faithfully on 4 eggs in the greenhouse. It is unheated, so I have my doubts on whether any eggs will actually hatch. We had a cold snap last weekend. The other 4 hens are much happier by themselves.

If the hatch date comes and goes without chicks, I will place her back with the other hens, and hopefully life will be pleasant for all once again (after pecking order is determined once again).

If the broody hadn't been so unpleasant with the others, I probably would have waited it out until til spring when the weather is warmer to allow her to sit on eggs. Good luck to you, and whatever decision you make will be the right one to suit your situation.

Back
Top Bottom