Broody Hen in Winter?

Is there a way you could put a dog crate inside your coop? Then your Mama and remaining egg/baby could be inside there, and still with the flock, but protected from the other chickens?
Ohh, interesting idea. We don’t have a crate but my husband thinks he can build a little “chicken run” inside our coop for the hen and hopefully chicks. We can attach it to the box she’s in so we don’t have to uproot them. Hmm, this could work! I feel bad confining our hen, she’s been such a trooper but that’s life I guess. Great idea!

Ohh, interesting idea. We don’t have a crate but my husband thinks he can build a little “chicken run” inside our coop for the hen and hopefully chicks. We can attach it to the box she’s in so we don’t have to uproot them. Hmm, this could work! I feel bad confining our hen, she’s been such a trooper but that’s life I guess. Great idea!
That’s what I do. I have an area set up so I can close it off with a piece of fencing to keep broody and babies in for the first week or so.

That’s what I do. I have an area set up so I can close it off with a piece of fencing to keep broody and babies in for the first week or so.
Nice! That was my next question, how long should I keep them separated? My original flock is a bunch of bullies. I brought in three more a few months ago and the originals still consistently attack the new ones.

Nice! That was my next question, how long should I keep them separated? My original flock is a bunch of bullies. I brought in three more a few months ago and the originals still consistently attack the new ones.
I keep mine in for a week or two, then start letting them out for a few hours in the middle of the day when everyone else is off free ranging. It helps to let the chicks grow a little, and have the mama bonded with them so she’ll protect them. If you have less space, I’d keep them confined a little longer. Lots of hiding places for the chicks will help too once you start letting them out.

Glad to help! I’m planning on building a small brooding coop and run that attaches to our full run, and it was an idea that I saw during my research. Theoretically, the new chicks and older chickens will have plenty of space to check each other out and get acquainted, but with fencing between them. Apparently, once they start ignoring each other, that’s when you start doing supervised integrating for short periods, building up over time!

For me, having the small coop will be able to accommodate 12ish store bought/ordered chicks while they grow from about 3 or 4 weeks until around 8 when they can fend for themselves, or I can use it as a brooding space for a Mama once we get a rooster. It probably could even be used to house an injured chicken. The coop will be elevated and small(just enough space for roosting), and the space underneath will be about 3’x6’ so they can roam around on dirt and grass and get used to being “outside”.

Just an idea to think about, if you plan on hatching chicks in the future! Could be a valuable addition, and being small, I’m not thinking it would cost too much.

Good morning! Our second chick hatched yesterday! My husband built a wall inside the coop made of chicken wire separating mama and chick from the rest of the flock. We will probably keep it up for a month, based on how our flock reacted to the last chick. Of course there’s a winter storm warning today but I am confident mama can keep that chick warm. Thanks for all of your opinions and great ideas! Fingers crossed!

Good morning! Our second chick hatched yesterday! My husband built a wall inside the coop made of chicken wire separating mama and chick from the rest of the flock. We will probably keep it up for a month, based on how our flock reacted to the last chick. Of course there’s a winter storm warning today but I am confident mama can keep that chick warm. Thanks for all of your opinions and great ideas! Fingers crossed!
Wonder news! I'm sure she'll do an excellent job raising her new chicks. :jumpy :wee

As long as they have shelter from wind and snow/rain I've had broodies do great in winter. Especially with just 2 chicks. Plenty of room under the hen to maneuver for warmth.

Back
Top Bottom